ALL: Pivotal Years for Soaps

• Members

^

which included lavish sets.

All soaps, be it 1973 or 2006, focus on the actors rather than the backgrounds. Daytime sets are generally not up to par to go "hmm, lets focus in on the Brady livng room today ...". Y&R however has for decades, picked objects in its sets and used them to start scenes. Be it a vase, a glass award in the Newman halls, etc etc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Along with the OJ trial, the Oliver North hearings. I don't remember the year. The Oliver North hearings were in the summer, which are when teens typically watch soaps. This was before the all news channels, at least in my area. I know it also had a negative impact on soaps.

Of course, another year, which I don't remember was when Guiding Light went from radio to TV.

• Members

I tend to think, but many will disagree, that the impact of the OJ Simpson trial is (slightly) overstated.

The rate of decline from 1975 (when I think viewership of Daytime peaked) to c. 2000 was fairly steady. In 1980 it was approximately 7.5, in 1990 approximately 5.6 and in 2000 around 4.0. And soaps had been pre-empted for various events before OJ- the Iran-Contra hearings in 1988, which also happened to be the year of the writers' strike. I tend to think of it as a cop-out to cover up the declining quality of soaps in recent years. Since 2000, however, the rate of viewership erosion of Daytime- and probably network TV as a whole- appears to be much sharper. Even in the late 90s, well after OJ, soaps were still seen as a viable medium with a future, otherwise Port Charles, Sunet Beach and Passions would never have been created. That's the big difference between pre-2000 and post-2000 daytime.

• Members

Pivotal moments for Y&R

1973 - premiere; Jeanne Cooper joins the cast

1979 - Melody Thomas Scott joins the cast

1980 - expansion to 1 hour; Eric Braeden joins the cast

1982 - the original families, the Brookses and the Fosters, are phased out, and the Abbotts become the new core family

1986 - Lauralee Bell joins the cast full-time

1988 - reaches #1

1992 - first cross-over with The Bold and the Beautiful (don't know how B&B survived during the pre-Sheila years; Days must have been killing it back then)

2005 - Bill Bell passes away

• Members

Well for the first few years it was CBS' lowest-rated soap. But to demonstrate the strength and consistency of CBSD, its numbers were pretty decent from the beginning and that alone was a big achievement because very few new soaps could get such numbers from the start (some, like Y&R and Ryan's Hope, took at least a couple of years). It inherited that mantle from Capitol, which got decent numbers throughout its run, which in turn had replaced SFT which was doing fine right up to the time it moved to NBC. Basically, B&B was born in extremely fortunate circumstances as it was scheduled between the network's then two highest-rated soaps, Y&R and ATWT. So it was certain to get good numbers from the start and grow from there.

• Members

in all seriousness ...

1993 - James Reilly takes over Days of Our Lives writing

It was a turning point in soaps because it started to shape the stories the other shows told trying to compete. Like the influence Monty had on soaps in the early 80s, other shows tried to complete with Days by telling campy and supernatural storylines. They all failed.

Archived