ALL: Pivotal Years for Soaps

• Members

OK, I was just thinking, which years do you think were pivotal to Daytime soaps, which affected the direction of the entire genre?

I can think of the following:

1951- Search For Tomorrow goes on air and soon becomes the first soap to be a long-running success.

1956- The first half-hour serials, As The World Turns and The Edge of Night, go on air.

1958- ATWT secures #1 spot which it would hold down for 20 years.

1967- more soaps move to 30 minutes and begin transitioning to tape.

1968- Another World and The Doctors become the first soaps to break the CBS stranglehold on the ratings.

1975- Days, AW and ATWT all expand to an hour, ATWT and EON the last soaps to change to tape.

1980- in many ways a decisive year. ABC Daytime begins the apex of its domination and General Hospital begins its domination of the ratings, whilst NBC Daytime experiences a catastrophic collapse from which it would never recover.

1988- Young & the Restless reaches #1, from which it has never let go.

1993- in many ways, a fateful year for Daytime because the effects of it are still being felt today:

- Guiding Light kills off Maureen Bauer

- the death of Douglas Marland

- the arrival of James E. Reilly as HW of Days

1999- the cancellation of Another World and the launch of Passions. I think to a degree this has also affected the genre, in its own way.

Anyone have any more years to add to this?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1979 - GH's Luke rapes Laura at the Campus Disco.

1981 - Duh... Luke and Laura get married.

2000 - AMC brings Bianca out of the closet.

2001 - GH's Luke and Laura divorce after 20 years.

2003 - AMC has daytime's first same-sex kiss featuring Bianca and Lena / Moment of Shame: Bianca's raped and impregnated.

• Members

I agree with that Josh I really think that did hurt the shows, that went on for what almost 6 months, until the networks got a brain and decided we did not what to see it anymore, or was it something about the Judge not allowing the video to be shown anymore, I am not to sure about that one.

• Members

It was better drama (race, sex, police brutality, celebrity, murder) than the soaps were airing at the time. I know of a lot of people who broke the soap habit around this time. They stopped watching the "stories" and started watching CNN and other news programming during the day. The soaps never really adjusted to this--instead of becoming more "real and compelling," the Reilly/DAYS school of storytelling took hold.

Whoever said 1993 hit the nail on the head. What a watershed year for daytime TV! Probably the last "great" year of soaps.

• Members

OJ's trial didn't really interrupt soaps, or "Days" at least for very long, just a week in July 1994 and a week in January, 1995. The Watergate hearings back in 1973 preempted "Days" 19 times from mid-May to early-August. That's what pushed Suzanne Rogers' debut as Maggie back an entire month from July to the end of August of 1973.

• Members

Also 1988 because it was the last time there was a writer's strike. It had disastrous effects for some soaps. I remember when AW aired the strike episodes a few years ago and none of the storylines made sense. Then Lemay came in and the show went from incomprehensible to amazing in about 2 weeks.

• Members
1973: The Young And The Restless premiers on March 26, and changes the daytime landscape forever. It is the first soap broadcast in colour and without the usual organ music. A younger, sexier cast is featured with stories skewing a younger audience.

• Members

1995-THE CITY Premieres. Slick, trendy, and unashamed, this show was one of very few to try to break the mold with a MELROSE PLACE meets FRIENDS premise. Unlike other high budget soaps before it(i.e. SANTA BARBARA, CAPITOL, THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL), CITY relied heavily on location shooting along with experimental and expensive-looking camerawork.

Archived