DAYS: HUGE rumor...

• Members

The rape would challenge Will to question his sexuality. It has been reported that when males are raped by other males, it kills their masculinity. They feel vulnerable. Something has been taken from them. Many need therapy. Many also begin to question their own sexuality. They think they wanted it. It's very twisted. It could be one of the best stories ever told in daytime and I'm all for it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes and we know that begins next week. Down the road who knows. They can still be detectives and deal with Wil's problems. The Nick and Nora stuff was Hogan's initial preview so he definitely has more in his plans. He isn't going to tell us everything after all.

The fact of the matter is Lucas and Sami SHOULD be dealing with Will's problems. That is why I am glad the kidnapping scare happened because they are finally paying attention to the kid. That is another good thing about Days lately-parents are actually paying attention to their kids for once. Lucas and Sami have always dealt with their problems and now it's time for them to deal with their son's for once. It could be a terrific LUMI story.

• Members

Sure, but that's not what leads to gay teens coming out. That doesn't make anyone gay. Will can and should wrestle with his sexuality without it being "triggered" by male rape! That's like a bad educational film from the '50s or '60s or something. It doesn't work like that.

• Members

This is an ENTIRELY different coming out storyline. This is definitely not your average "soap character decides he's gay and comes out of the closet". There's so much more to it that you're not seeing.

It's not a bas educational film from the 50s or 60s. That's a pretty stupid comment if you ask me. Like I said before, this has the potential on being the best storyline in Daytime history. It will be a milestone.

The brutal attack happens and Will is raped by some criminal. Don't make it a standard cast member. No male on the current cast of have the psyche to do something like this. Will is completely violated. He just wants to forget the whole thing ever happened and never tells anyone about it. When he returns home, he just tells his parents that he got jumped in an alley. Lucas and Sami believe him. Will believes that he can put the whole thing behind him and no one has to know about this. Weeks go by and things are not as forgotten as he thought they would be. Simple gestures like, Uncle Bo patting Will on the shoulder or Max giving Will a noogie, or even Lucas hugging Will flashes will back to the rape and he becomes hostile towards other males, all males. This is when things start to become apparent. Will also finds himself starting to question his sexuality. Maybe he deserved to be raped because he could be gay. Did he subconciously like it? All of these things would be running through his head. Still, he makes no effort to tell anyone the truth. Lucas or Sami talk to Marlena about the strange behavior Will is exerting. Marlena gets Will alone with her and they start talking about all sorts of things. Marlena talking about Will's strange behavior and Will gets deffensive at first, naturally. Finally, Will breaks down in Marlena's arms and reveals the truth of what happened. After the truth is out, Will makes Marlena promise never to tell anyone. Marlena tries to convince Will it was not his fault he was raped, but Will doesn't believe it. He blames himself because he probably wanted to get raped. This just gets us to where Will starts questioning his sexuality. Look at all that's happened.

And that's coming from an amateur writer like me. Could you imagine what Hogan Sheffer can prodcue?

• Members

In order for it to definitely be "a milestone story," first it would have to be anything more than a wild rumor by a couple new posters nobody's ever seen before at a couple boards. And frankly I think it already got preempted on that by what AMC did to Bianca which certainly didn't do any good. I think it's exploitative and I don't think it furthers anything for each gay core character we see to get raped off the bat. I think it's far more courageous and buzz-worthy to treat the character like any other major lead on a soap, giving them romantic story, having them deal with intimacy and sexuality and promiscuity or lack thereof, and story possibilities like any other character and showing them in bed or out of it like anybody else - as opposed to on the floor of a dark room or on the ground after being violated.

And whether or not you believe it, the fact is what you proposed has Will getting raped by a man, and then "realizing" he is gay. Whether or not you intended it that way, to me that is as old and tired a homophobic idea and cliche as there ever was. It is just a nasty precedent to set as far as I'm concerned and would be fodder for homophobes and fundamentalist watchdog groups. It would set things back 30-50 years IMHO.

• Members

I agree. It seems that people think they are going to see a brutal rape.

I don't think it will happen this way. The writing can allude to the fact of being raped. If directed properly, the scene can be carried out with very little violence attached to it.

Lucas will be devastated because he's a macho type of guy. It will be difficult for him to accept a gay son.

• Members

I do recall Sheffer saying that. However, I don't think this fits Lumi. Allison and Bryan need to be given Emmy worthy material to work with, and a storyline like this would be it.

John and Marlena would fit the mold of Nick and Nora Charles.

• Members

Again, while this is only rumor his has been going around for so long that it is bound to happen. I know for a fact they will do a gay story with Will at the very least. That has been tossed around forever in th rumor mill and it hasn't gone away.

Drew-that is a great, well-written proposal right there. Imagine what Hogan could do with it. Now I can't recall from the post but I don't think it said the male rape would lead to the character's "coming out". I thought he came out and then got raped but I could be wrong. Either way, it's controversial but has the potential to be amazing for the actors and the show. Something like this could generate great buzz and is something I beleive, if done right which I think it will be, could be educational in many ways and quite rewarding in the end. I don't want to be totally social issue-ish like you would see on Y&R or something but I do know it should have something of that nature involved.

I have no problem with just the simple relationship and romance and if Days does that that is fine but the implications of this can be so powerful and far-reaching. It will add some internal conflict whenever Will is in a relationship. He will recall the rape and it will make it difficult to give in or trust and that is an interesting angle I would love to see played out.

Wait and see I guess but I do think we will at least get a Will is gay story in the near future.

Archived