Random acts of kindness...

KLN

• Members

Just thought this would be a cute idea for a thread.

What's your most recent random act of kindness? Doesn't matter how big or small... just something randomly nice that you've done for somebody that made you feel good about yourself.

For me, my most recent random act of kindness was three nights ago.

I was talking to a friend of mine on the internet who I really haven't spoken to in a few months. He was telling me about some of the issues going on in his life (ex-girlfriend was pregnant with his baby but had an abortion... ex-girlfriend was physically abused by her new boyfriend in front of his son, etc.) and on top of it all, he'd lost his job because his grandma died the week before and he took a MANDATORY day off to attend her funeral, which apparently they frowned upon. He wasn't sure how he was going to pay his rent or buy his son's new winter clothes, because he had no money, so I asked if he wanted some company... he said yes, so I told him I'd be right over.

When I arrived, I emptied out my entire wallet and gave him all the money inside. Of course, it wasn't a TON, but it was a good bit ($158 dollars). He looked at me with this crazy blank expression and started to cry, gave me a big hug, and said that's the nicest thing anyone's ever done for him... I felt AWESOME. Uh, not to mention he's [!@#$%^&*] HAWT! I almost offered him a piece of ass while I was at it, but I'd have felt like I was buying his sex and didn't quite want to do that LoL. Anyway, he called me the next morning and said that he and his son both were grateful for the money because he was going to use it to buy him some new winter clothes that day.

Sometimes, it really is better to give than to receive. I've been in a good mood for days because of that!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kenny...You are just the cutest.

Funny how doing something nice almost leads to prostitution... :lol:

Good thread.

Okay yesterday my neighbor lady who is in her 60's,

asked me if I would put all her patio furniture away for the winter.

So after I put all her stuff into her shed she was saying how naked everything now looked in her yard.

Almost everyone has decorated for fall and halloween around here except her cause she doesn't have anything.

So later I went out and bought her a scarecrow and some pumpkins and put them in her yard. She really enjoyed them. It made her happy, so it made me happy as well...plus she made me some cookies so it made it all worth it. :)

• Members

LOL @ Kenny

don't whore urself in the process, tho. ;)

but that's awesome, my friend. I guess kindness does go a long way in the world...my fair share, the ppl who I would try to help would just use and take advantage of me. So, I normally wouldn't, but I went back to my ways and did that for one of my best friends

He lives w/ his aunt and his aunts kids, and he doesn't have much money left after he gets paid from work, b/c he has to pay for half the bills and everything, so I normally give him some loot out of my pocket to help him out, whether it comes to food or anything else. Nope, he doesn't ask, I just do it b/c I want to help him out, and he doesn't use that.

Also, I am always around whenever trouble arises, and just lend an ear to help him out the best way I can. I hate hanging ppl when they need help or anything. I treat unto others how I want to be treated. I am always there for my ppl, and in vice versa NOW b/c I found ppl that actually give a rat's ass about me. I hope I didn't make that last part sound too selfish. :(

• Members

I understand how you feel Na'Vell. Some folks aren't satisfied with who you are, no matter what you do. You can be the kindest person in the world and there is always someone out there trying to guilt trip you for something.

I think Random Acts of Kindess are wonderful to read/hear about. A few years ago (about two, I think), I spontaneously filled out a magazine order but put down a co-worker's name and address on the card, and paid for the subscription. Well, a few weeks passed and she said that she received the magazine in the mail, and thought it to be a mistake. She said that she called Customer Service and found out that the subscription was paid in full. She said that whoever paid for her to have a subscription was definitely an angel. She still does not know that I was the person that paid for her magazine subscription.

• Members

I LOVE random acts of kindness. It makes you feel like such a better person inside and out. I know it's cheesy but sometimes it is better to give than to receive. Come Christmas times I'm always more pleased to see others open up the gifts I got them than what I get. Of course I'm thankful though.

The last random act of kindness I did was about a month ago...there was a lady in a wheelchair an she couldn't get down this bump. So I was just walking by and saw her having trouble so I went up and helped her get to the other side. It just made me feel like such a better person in the end.

• Members

Na'vell, that is actually smart of you to be around those that care about you, not selfish.

This past summer I mowed a neighbors yard for free(only took an hour on a push mower), although she did cook for me and my brother 3 times a week so I really don't count that as being an act of kindness. This lady has become my "real" grandmother and I tell her that all the time. She is just the nicest woman who I just adore. I want her to see my kids first whenever I have some, not my birth right grandparents. If y'all just knew the things my grandparents have said or done to me or my family. Sorry I am rambling here, but its a tough subject for me when I think about my grandparents.

When someone drops money on the ground or when I worked fast food and someone gave me too much money I always pick it up or give them back the extra they accidenitally gave me.

Today I felt good because I made someone smile ear to ear. There is this handicapped/autistic girl that works in the school cafeteria and most college people ignore her like she isnt even there. When I see her cleaning tables I always ask how she is doing and we chat back and forth for maybe a minute. I just hate to see people being ignored or mistreated.This past weekend I overheard her talking to one of her employers about going to the new Chainsaw movie, so today at breakfast when she walked by I asked her how the movie was. She just smiled ear to ear and SLOWLY told me how it went. I stood there for like seemed 20 minutes, but it was worth it just making someones day.

• Members

Me too!

I've been to banks and gas stations where people have given me the wrong change. I always give it back because I know they'll have to pay for the missing money from the paycheck.

Once a guy gave me about 200+ more at the bank.

-About two weeks ago, I went to the supermarket where an older lady was working packing groceries, and nobody even gave her a second glance. For some reason I felt terribly sad seeing her.

I gave her a bigger tip than the amount I spent on groceries (just some flour and frosting, but still).

-During our Senior Year of HS, a very dear friend of mine was going through some SERIOUS financial hardship and couldn't afford a required fee. Me, and two other friends got together and annonymously paid it.

She suspects it was me and asked me about it. I told her I was too cheap to pay for my own stuff, let alone hers. :P

• Members

Good for you Kenny.

My last RAK:

I gave directions to someone on campus yesterday.

People are always -- ALWAYS -- asking me for directions...at least twice a day.

I don't mind once in a while, but I get tired of it sometimes, especially when I am busy.

[One time I didn't give directions cuz I was in a hurry to get to the Blue October concert and I am wary of talking to strange people... especially late in the evening after dark. Some woman in a truck yelled out at me for directions and I wouldn't talk to her so she called out "F**K YOU!" Like it was my legal obligation to do it!]

I've developed my own personal motto: "If I don't know you, then I don't owe you."

I don't mind helping people, but I hate it when people demand things of me.

And if they're not gonna be nice about it, it makes me want to help them even less.

JMO

• Members

Good thread! :)

I always try and open the door for eldery people or people with their arms full.

One thing I also like to do is when I'm asked how I'm doing today (like by a waitress or sales person) I always ask them how they're doing. I find people are receptive to that.

And I always put stray carts in parking lots back in the cart racks so they don't hit peoples cars.

I *like* doing things like this, it makes me feel good about myself as a person and when people do things like that for me, it makes me feel like there ARE nice people out there. :)

Archived