August 7-11, 2006

Toups

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow. I could have sworn that Ram and Liason sex would have pushed the ratings UP for GH!

I'd be happy that Guza etc., are getting ass-whupped in the ratings -- but you just know Frons is going to rationalize this as "the audience wants more Mob."

• Members

With all the mixed up couples on Days, I was so looking forward to John and Marlena's return and even decided to start being a fan. So, when the long awaited return comes, what do we get? Marlena wants a separation. It was like a slap in the face. I can just see that long, patient, die-hard John and Marlena's fans felt it much worse than I and knew what was coming, so I can easily see why their return brought no bumps in the ratings. At first I hated the separation, but seeing John winging it alone is uplifting. I don't even miss Marlena, either. But, long time fans aren't going to love this if they won't watch it. The whole show is so much more worth watching than even one month ago. It's more than any one couple especially now that we are getting a broader view of all the characters. Hopefully, this slide is temporary and the real test is still coming.

• Members

You didn't offend me, but something you have to realize is the John and Marlena fans tuned out the entire time Dee and Drake were off the show. They hail themselves as the largest of all the fanbases, so don't you think they are as much responsible for the ratings being low as much as the writing?

I do agree that Days will not flourish until the entire show is worth watching again.

As far as I'm concerned John and Marlena separating was music to my ears. They have been on this show for so long that everything has been done over and over for them, and its just old. If Hogan can revive the characters apart, I will like that much better.

• Members

If you will go back and read my post you will see that I was saying it was each fan bases fault that the show sometimes gets low ratings, and yes that includes the John/Marlena fan base. But I pointed out the Steve/Kayla fan base in particular because they are being targeted as the saviors of the show - and as having more impact on the show than anyone else - especially when the ratings are high.

And then this week when they are lower, it is suddenly J/M fault because they returned. Well that might be but it is also the S/K fans fault because they tuned out those 3 days. And it has already been pointed out above that S/K were only on on Monday and Tuesday when Days got the 2.8 ratings. Well if S/K were responsible for the 2.8 then they were equally responsible for the 2.5's the other 3 days.

I guess Days should put S/K on everyday and then they wouldn't have any problems at all. But I guess each fan base can say the same thing. I just wonder where all the fan bases are going to be when the show gets cancelled and their favorites can't find another job anywhere (just like so many of the Santa Barbara and Another World performers who are unemployed now) else in soaps (because of budgets these days) and you never see them again.

So yes fan bases are responsible for the good ratings but they are also responsible for the bad ones too. And unfortunately even though fan bases can be a good thing, they will ultimately be the ruin of Days of Our Lives.

• Members

Sucks Days went down but at least they held on to #3. The numbers for them are still good. I mean Days held on for awhile when nothing was going and really nothing special is still going on so these numbers are good considering the transition. I was thinking J&M would give the show a bump but I am not surprised since it was nothing special.

Steve/Kayla are partly the reason Days has had good numbers of late. The others reason is stories are moving and I think the young crowd being featured helps in the summer. Last Monday and Tueday was Mimi vs Belle so that along with Steve/Kayla I think helped.

I hope Days mananges to stay at 2.6 for at least this week because I know they will go up the following week with all that is going on. Beth has done a great job but nothing really huge is going on until next week so Days needs to hope to stand pat.

I feel so bad for Passions. They are doing so well except for the mermaid and quad stuff and it does nothing for the numbers. I am really worried about them.

• Members

I think your analysis is flawed, Steve, because you're giving way too much power to the core fanbases and when the power over ratings really lies with the more casual fans. The intense fans (those who care enough to seek out and post on fan boards for the show and fan boards for their couple) make up a very small percentage of the 3.5 million watching the show every day. A very small percentage.

No matter how loud those fan groups are, the truth is they're not going to have that much of an impact on the ratings. Every single online J&M fan could watch the show tomorrow and I doubt the Nielson numbers would budge. Same for every single online Steve & Kayla fan, every online Shelle fan, etc. We number in the thousands. It takes a few hundred thousand to have an impact.

Who really matters are all those people who kind of like Days and turn on the show when things are happening that keep their attention. All jokes aside, I'm not sure what was different about Monday and Tuesday that made several hundred thousand more people want to watch than during the rest of the week. It could have been Carrie & Austin rooftop sex (gag) or the thought that they might get caught. It could have been the prospect of a Mimi/Belle !@#$%^&*]fight at last. It could have been to find out if Steve was really going to stay in Cincinnati and reject Kayla. It was probably a combination of the three.

Bottom line, it's not the responsibility of the fans (hard core or casual) to watch the show every day whether or not there's anything happening that interests them (an interesting argument from you since you say you've stopped watching yourself). It's the responsibility of TPTB to give both the hardcore and casual viewers storylines that engage them and characters and couples who are compelling. If I turn on the show and see the 140th incarnation of Babies!Babies!Babies! or the Quad of Doom and no sign of couples or storylines that interest me, I may well turn off the television. If a few hundred thousand do the same thing, and it begins to happen so consistently that the show gets cancelled, it's not on MY head or those other fans. It's on TPTB who didn't give us something worth watching.

(Of course all that is kind of moot since (1) I'm not a Neilson household, (2) I watched every day last week).

• Members

It all comes down quality, Steve. I've seen plenty of Steve & Kayla fans say they wish they could enjoy the WHOLE show but the quality does not attract them to it. If S&K are not on, why would they subject themselves to the hideous "Quads from Doom" stories or the "Missing Gloved Hand" or Hatrick? Give them a reason to watch the rest of the show and they might tune it!

I don't consider the J&M fans responsible for the bad ratings simply because I don't believe they have the power to affect them much. They were off for 6-8 weeks and yet their big return failed to even budge the numbers. You can't say S&K fans tuning out negated the impact of J&M fans tuning in because S&K did not even appear on Wednesday's episode.

I don't even think it is the S&K "fanbase" who are responsible for the good numbers. I think alot of general fans are attracted to them because they are new and fresh and because their storyline is a cut above everything else (although that isn't saying much). I certainly see alot of positive buzz about S&K from people who aren't card carrying members of their fanbase. Ultimately- if the writing falters and they get dumped in a triangle like everyone else- even they will stop spiking the ratings.

• Members

Y&R just keeps moving up. Great to see the Year-over-year ratings continuing to go up. When was the last time a show had a 16(!) share in 18-49? For all of the complaining about the George storyline, the show keeps doing well. (The key, of course, is balance -- last week also had Daniel/Lily; Neil/Dru fall-out and John's B-day/stroke.)

Archived