DAYS: 2 Big Firings...

• Members

I agree Toups.

Ponz I am not blaming people who are fans of Carrie and Austin and the actors but what stuns me and what I can understand is how one castiing decision changes people's perception of a show. Many of those threatening to stop watching in this thread were praising the show yesterday-and it was show with no Carrie on at all. My problem is when people let casting decisions affect how they see a show. I am now seeing people say I just can't want Carrie and Austin on screen now knowing what I know. I can understand fans of only Carrie and Austin being upset and wanting to quit. That is understandable but those that like other aspects of the show are now acting as if these two leaving makes the rest of the show suck. It always seems like when e decision is handed down then you start hearing "well the show is in trouble" or they are doomed" and then you hear about a bunch of things that are currently wrong with the show when yesterday there was no mention of any of this. It seems when Days makes one hard decision that is bound to make some fans mad that people start nitpicking around saying "well I was going to quit anyway" or this isn't working and either is that" and these same people were loving the show yesterday and saying they loved it.

I am with Andre, Keith, Toups, and all the others who are not as bothered by this. I just can't understand how some people who were in love with the show yesterday can just change their perception just like that. Fans of only Carrie and Austin I can see it but most of the posters in this thread are fans of more then just Austin and Carrie and that is why I am so surprised by this. Not by the anger but by how people are all of a sudden down on a show that could do no wrong yesterday no matter who was on or not on.

Again, we were told big people were leaving. Firing minor characters does nothing and this is going to be hard as hell but Days is more important to me then a few characters or couples. If Hogan doesn't write well, then I will be angry but the show will succeed on good writing like we have had of late. I am confident Days will be just fine, especially the way Beth has been writing. I am just going to wait and see how everything looks when the show is done with the changes. Then and only then will I decide whether the show is in bad shape. Based on those we have heard leaving and thsoe that are rumored to be of late, I don't see any problems at all.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This Is My First Time Posting Here!!! I've watched this board for months as all the drama with Reilly unfolded, and I'm glad I finally joined. You guys are an entertaining group.

First, I'm not a Reilly hater. I didn't love his second run, but his first was probably what solidified Days as my favorite soap. I've watched since 1984 or so, and I have to say that he did not worry about characterization enough, but he was entertaining as hell. I'm pretty young too, and Days is a family tradition for me.

That being said, AP and CC are not a blight on the show, but I tend to remember much bigger departures in Days history, and the show continued to thrive.

Remember when Hope exploded in the cage. I thought that would do it for the show, but Kristian came back eventually, the show hit #2 in the ratings, and stayed there for a long time during the mid to late 90's. Deidre Hall left her portrayal as Marlena back in 1986, but the show had it's highest ratings ever for Steve and Kayla's Wedding just two years later.

I think Days will be just fine, and if a "supercouple" had to go, then I'm afraid this is the one I personally would choose. Thats Just My Opinion.

BTW: We Days fans are an irritating bunch to please aren't we...LOL. Between all the fan bases and opinions, I wonder how a writer for this show would sleep at night. The "supercouple" concept is fine, but why not take a wholistic view of the show? This is "Days Of Our Lives", and when Days was REALLY good (1969-1978), it wasn't dominated by purely romantic plots and screaming fan bases (with the exception of Doug and Julie, that is...)

• Members

Clark was soap searching before in 02 or 03 when she was asking to come back to DAYS. She went up for the role of Summer on GH and didn't get it and I think she was over at Y&R as well. I don't think soaps are in a hurry to hire people (in general) right now.

• Members

Christie Clark was almost hired by YR as Victoria Newman, she thought she had the role, but because of her last audition round she didnt got it.

Austin Peck did an audition for GH

"As of this date, neither I nor Austin's agent have received written notification of his departure," Bruno adds. "I can tell you that Austin loves working at Days of our Lives, but also loves the daytime genre. So if it is indeed true, we hope that another show will see Austin's tremendous assets and fanbase and welcome him into their family."

So it's not 100% true, I quess?

• Members

This comes as no shock at all. They brought Austin and Carrie back for the lamest story ever and they have nothing to do and the acting is awful. Both have no point on the canvas, they shouldn't have come back and might as well go. No problem.

• Members

Austin Peck: another shirtless hunk who can't act - no great loss.

Christie Clark: I feel bad for her. I've always liked Carrie, although I much prefered her with Mike.

I wish instead that CC had returned to DAYS with Roark Critchlow.

There seem to be as many people pissed off about this as those of us still angry about Matt Ashford being fired.

Is DAYS really going to suffer a big audience boycott after many of these characters leave?

• Members

I kind of understand...actually I totally understand, only liking a select couple or

couples on this show. Days' Reilly (and other writers in the past decade and a

half) have totally isolated different storylines. It's been very much a "cliquey" show.

I just think it's pretty easy to only watch for certain people...especially

considering how poor the writing has been in general for so long

• Members

Um, I don't really care for her looks but even I know that Ali Sweeney, is, hands down, THE young face of "Days of Our Lives." She will is the best younger actress, the most appealing, NBC's favorite (remember Fear Factor and the other shows they've put her in for primetime) and she will be the show's next matriarch.

• Members

I do not think Days well end up like Guiding Light for few reasons. Number one Guiding Light lost a lot of viewers way before the budget cuts which happened in 2005, if you look at the ratings for Guiding Light for 2001 then 2002 you well see it went from 3.2 to 2.5 just in one year and during the budget cuts Guiding light did not lose that many viewers it only went from a 2.5 to 2.4 which i do not think is that much of a loss!! Reason number two is Days will still have a much larger budget then Guiding Light and will IMO have a much better head writer!! I do not think just because some actors who get fired or who are let go will hurt the ratings! Especially if those actors never did that much to help the ratings move up in the first place.

Oh by the way if you want to check the ratings to see if i am right here is a link that gives the ratings for Guiding Light from July 1999 to October 2003www.passionscentral.com/ratings

• Members

Most people in this thread haven't been truly concerned with the budget. They're upset that their faves got cut. It happens. They have every right to feel that way. I'm actually upset as far as Christie goes, but doubting as I do the show's ability to do anything with her outside of Austin, I accept it. Because, for me (and I'm well aware I'm strongly in the minority and could care less that I am), Austin always scorned Carrie to protect and be there for Sami.

I'm one of the few that hated Austin/Carrie AND Carrie/Mike (I think what bothered me about it was Carrie/Mike growing up with each other when Mike was plenty of years ahead of her by the time Andrea Garber was first seen in the role as a little kid who'd been living on a slave ship with her mother (or if that turned out to be a lie, wherever she was with Anna! :lol:). I thought Roark and Christie had great chemistry, but like Shawn and Belle, I have historical reasons why I can't get into certain pairings. See also: Max and Chelsea AND Max and Stephanie. Mind, all these cases are not incest, but there ar ehistorical reasons why they shouldn't really be happening or have happened. But, I digress once more.

Because of the Austin/Carrie/Sami storyline in the 90's, I've always thought, as a Brady sister who was a very different woman than she is now, Carrie deserved far more than Austin. I loved Muldoon as Austin, but, well, I've never hidden my dislike for Peck, now, have I? :lol: These characters are almost always in a bubble, which i think made them easy targets for cutting. I fault Reilly's writing totally for this flop. peck and Clark have a wonderful chemistry, but their story sucked. Chritie acted wonderfully, especially lately. i was definitely lookign for to more from her.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. I've watch this show almost unwaveringly for over ten years. I've watched people come. I've watched people go, including many of my favorites. As long as the storylines compel me to, I will watch. I see improvement. I see promise. What I see is not for everyone, which I completely understand.

To the Austin/Carrie fans, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope that some of you can find it in your hearts to give Sheffer a chance to go above and beyond what has been set up for him. If you can't, I'll understand. I love discussing the show with every DAYS fan on this board, from the S/K's, J/M's, C/A's, B/H's, J/J's and beyond. Maybe the ratings will survive the losses (considering what we've seen lately, it's obviously that whatever DAYS is selling, viewers are buying, but I'm not willing to bet that it's solely because of anything. The quality, of late, has been better.) Maybe they'll suffer a little. I have faith in Sheffer for whatever he has in store.

DAYS has another era left in it and I will choose to enjoy it. To those who will continue to discuss it with me every day, I'm glad to have you. To those I may lose along the way, I will miss you. It's you guys that truly make tihs board special. There's no DAYS fans like SON!

Archived