DAYS: 2 Big Firings...

• Members

Okay so i'm curious who will be left on the show now with Jack, Jennifer, Mimi, Phillip, Austin, Carrie gone...and Patrick and Frankie rumored out as well..

Bo, Hope

Steve, Kayla

John, Marlena

Sami, Lucas, EJ

Max, Stephanie, Chelsea, possibly Abby

Abe, Lexie

Kate, Billie, Roman

Belle, Shawn (recast)

Maggie, Mickey (possible recast), Alice, Caroline, Shawn Sr (who i think will die)

I'm still crossing my fingers that Patrick and Roman will be out also..Bonnie could go or leave..I wouldn't be too upset..And i think Days really needs Stefano to return now...

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess I just don't see the problem. Sure, Julie Pinson or Christie Clark are nice enough actresses, but what do they really do on the show? Nothing much that I can see. Yes, I watched back in the days of Austin and Carrie in the 90s, but what they're doing now is very, very boring to me. The story here is so flimsy and Christie Clark seems to be a much worse actress than I remember. Carrie's an important character but the only thing her return has proven to me is that she still is not ready to be brought back full time. I think they're dead weight, and I think there's a lot of other dead weight that can be easily removed without hurting the show. I just loved Billie Reed when she started on the show too, but now Billie has no point and no purpose, she's a waste of airtime to me. I think you can cut her, Austin and Carrie, Phillip, Patrick, Chelsea, and so many others without it hurting the show, and I'm sure they've only begun to cut, I expect most of the Lockharts to be next.

Days has so many people on contract with no purpose that the cuts will be easy, not hard. We don't need a bunch of these people in my opinion.

• Members

If they get rid of enough of them they will. It's math.

Ummm, BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE THINK THE SHOW SUCKS! Why would they stay loyal to a show they think sucks when their favs are being written out!?!? Not everyone has blind faith in DAYS. Now, I said I have never been closer to tuning out. I didn't say I was. But I can sure as hell see why people have gotten to this point. The show is not in the shape to be making these bold moves like this. This is noy SSK story they have going.

If people watch because of couples and actors, who the hell are we to judge? DAYS fans aren't judging them when those same actors and couples BRING in the ratings. No, DAYS fans only criticize them when they decide to tune out.

This just a horribly ridiculously dumb decision for a show that is based on couples. To write two supercouples out within three months of each other is a huge risk.

I could have gotten a two year old from Helen Keller's School of the Blind and Deaf to make better cast cutting decisions than this.

• Members

As others have said, unfortunately a lot of the dead weight will make little to no impact on the budget.

That said, I expect the Lockharts to definitely follow (Judi is sure to be a fairly large paycheck and a bunch of smaller paychecks beign released for every big one will ease transitions, I'm sure). I think Pinson and maybe (though I doubt it) Koslow might be looked at. Taylor's safe. Let's not be foolish. We all dream. Not happening. Reynolds and Jones won't go anywhere. They'll take any cut and Corday has become so senile, or just idiotic, that he would cut his only minorities. This is one palce where NBC excedes ABC in daytime quality. :lol:

I tihnk it would be smart for the show to relegate Rogers, Parker, McCay, and the Mickey recast (which unfortunately seems to be coming) to recurring. Not Reid, for obvious reasons. When the ratings stabilize, the budget could get bigger and maybe some of these characters may be gone (Mickey recast and Shawn, please) and others can jump into stories of their own (Rogers and McCay, maybe?). Though if Carline ever got a story of her own, she may just stay recurring like Aniston chooses to...

• Members

Great post Keith. I will echo those sentiments although I still can't understand why people are saying the show is doomed now and are finding some faults with it when yesterday they were practically in love with it. It always seems like with Days when it rains it pours. One bit of bad news always brings alot of negativity with it which sucks because the show has improved immensely quality-wise and the ratings show that. No one couple or story is the reason for the ratings this summer. It is combination of stories moving and the improving quality of the writing. Days was smart to bring back Steve/Kayla back when they did because that was the big splash to get many fans back to the show just in time to see the quality improve.

Like Keith said, we all love Days and want to keep enjoying/discussing it together. I guess I just don't understand how yesterday everyone loves the show and today a good amount of people have soured almost completely on it and now say they have trouble watching it because it is hard to see Carrie and Austin given what happened. That and people are now finding fault with things that they never even mentioned in the last few days. It is just weird how one decision can change so many people's perceptions that fast. Problem with Days is and always will be they are damned if they do and damned if they don't because they have so many vets and when cuts are necessary it makes things hard. We Days fans are lucky that we have been able to have so many familiar faces over the years. Many soaps don't have as many vets. It is finally catching up to Days now as they have to make some cuts to survive and thrive. It sucks but whatever is necessary to keep this show on the air I am for even if some of my faves have to go. It breaks my heart but I have hope they may be back someday and that the show will thrive without them. They always say when you love someone you have to think of them before your self and that is how I feel about Days. I love the show first and if it means saying goodbye to some of my faves for it to stay put and thrive then it is fine. I will deal with it. I just hope they are given great sendoffs and that when things get better they get brought back, which I think could very well happen with CC and Matt IMO.

I am sorry if my defense of Days in this thread has offended anyone as a fan. I am just shocked that this decision has soured so many on the show as a whole. I mean there is more backlash on this board from Carrie and Austin then there was for J&J and that is stunning in itself (although Missy leaving on her own and Matt always being fired may have had something to do with that). I hate that we are saying goodbye to some beloved characters but I can understand why Days is doing this. I know people feel like Abe, Lexie, Chelsea, etc should go first but they don't do nothing for the budget, which is why I understand the need to cut big names. Days won't be like GL anytime soon so don't worry about that. I said when Hogan first took over I was worried about Austin and Carrie because they just didn't seem like characters he would write for and they were never mentioned on the rumored "safe" list. I really want to see more info on their firings though because Bruno knows nothing of it and people are thinking this may be like J&M"s exit. I don't think that is the case but no one seems 100% sure about it yet on the net.

• Members

Hogan Sheffer doesn't do supercouples, I don't think, but he really doesn't do ones that were just brought back for some 90s nostalgia and haven't really worked this time, which is honestly the way I feel about Austin and Carrie's return. It's like when they did Stefan and Katherine on GH with Mary Beth and Steve Nichols. Nobody there cared that they were Patch and Kayla because times had changed, it was a different show with different characters and despite the fact that they had great chemistry as actors the characters were so different than their DAYS ones and did not work well together. Nobody said "you can't fire them, they're Steve and Mary Beth". This is a similiar sort of thing though not quite. The problem I think Days is having is that Austin and Carrie were nice in the 90s, Billie was nice in the 90s, but right now, in 2006, the characters serve no purpose and have no point and have not helped stories. At least to me, Austin and Carrie's return was a bust, and I rooted for them when I was younger. You just can't go back, especially with a bad story and pretty bad actors. And honestly, if it helps speed up erasing the Reilly stuff and attitude that has filled the show since his first run even when he was gone, so much the better.

• Members

So, firing/bumping to recurring......

- Stephanie

- Abe

- Lexie

- Bonnie

- Mimi

- Josh

- EJ

- Patrick

- Shawn Sr.

- Frankie

- Jack

- Roman

AND with Reeves and Cook and Brandt leaving........

.........wouldn't make up for A&C? I find that hard to believe. B.S.!

If Hoagie does not write for supercouples then he is NOT the writer for DAYS.

• Members

Soaps are not built solely for supercouples, though. When they rely on them too much it's bad.

And also, Abe and Lexie are much better actors than Austin and Carrie. This show has cut Jack, Jen, Frankie, Austin and Carrie, and it could easily cut Chelsea, Phillip, Mimi, Billie and Patrick and that's not going to hurt the show in my eyes. I am a little upset that Jack and Jen and Frankie are out, but that's it, and that wasn't totally their fault since Missy was leaving no matter what and it does make some story sense to just move on.

• Members

Yeah some do but there are some in this thread that were happy about everything yesterday and then see this and are set on quitting watching. They didn't seem like diehard Carrie and Austin fans to me. Unfortunately KR, these decisions have to be made even if you and others see them as dumb. I hate it too but firing a bunch of minor characters does nothing (and a good majority of those characters I know you want out will be probably gone anyway in addition to this).

I am not criticizing anyone. I said in my posts I see why CC and Peck fans would want to quit watching even though I hope they give the show a chance. What I don't understand is when several people go from loving a show to it is going to be hard to watch now and the show is in trouble. That I can't understand. We knew these cuts were coming and I know people are going to say that there are others who should go first but that is who we want to see go. This may be who has to go for the show to continue. We don't work there so who are we to say we can make better decisions? I am giving the show the benefit of the doubts on these cuts until I see Hogan write and until I see what happens as a whole.

• Members

Again, I think firing 12 useless characters would make up for two actors. Especially when three are vets and get good salaries. Even bumping Rogers to recurring would be smarter to this. They use her as much as they use recurring people ANYWAY, and she is so loyal to DAYS she would stick with them no matter what. Roman, Abe, and Lexie could be added to the list to help free up TONS of money. You know they are paying Taylor a lot. He's been on there ten years now. Jones fifteen consecutive years, and Reynolds, is what? 22 years?

Like I said, if DAYS was in this amazing position, then whatever. It would be a different story. Transition time on the heels of losing J&J is just pure stupidity. DAYS is consistent right now, but there is no focus.

I will need to see an interview with Sheffer before I can determine whether the show will be fucked by these cuts.

But it ain't lookin' pretty.

• Members

...But what does it matter when those two actors, Peck and Clark, are pretty useless in many people's eyes? What future story are they going to have that is so interesting, that they can act out? Reynolds and Jones can act through better material.

• Members

Well that is Days problem and me and several others warned Sheffer writes for characters and not couples. Hogan will do well no doubt but not everyone will be happy and let's not jump all over Hogan when he hasn't done a damn thing yet.

As for those listed, getting rid of Stephanie would be idiotic and it is safe to say Patrick and Bonnie are next. Abe and Lexie is not an issue because they would take a cut before leaving Days and so would Josh Taylor. Parker will just be knocked to recurring anyway so that does nothing. Cutting Scott does nothing because he probably doesn't make as much as the big players and he is very popular right now whether you like it or not. It also occurred to me everyone on that list is people you don't like so you can save two of your faves :lol: . I understand you are upset my friend but so am I. Again, we don't work there and don't know what they go through to make these decisions. I see where you are coming from but cutting those on that list won't help. I would love for them to do that instead but they can't. It sucks but it is the reality of the situation. All there is to do is hope things turn out for the best with Days and maybe they will be back. :)

• Members

I have to agree with the majority here that say Peck and Clark aren't needed on the show. They have brought absolutely nothing to the show besides a redux of the famous 90s storyline, but with a horrible turn-around. JER ruined Carrie by having her choose Lucas just to have a freaking baby. Ever heard of adoption Carrie? No one is going to choose a man because she can have a baby with him. That's so stupid.

I love Christie Clark and Austin Peck was a breath of fresh air last year when he first came on, but in a whole year, they've done nothing but tear LUMI apart. That's it. And if it's going to help the budget, I'd rather see them go than Deidre Hall or Drake Hogestyn go.

• Members

I'll say it again - if Hoagie does not write well for couples, then this is not the show for him.

You can cut this decisiou any way you want and see it out of the rose colored glasses all you want, but it's NOT a good move.

Again, I will bring in the little deaf blind todlers to tell you that.

Archived