Y&R: July 2016 Thread

• Members

I can't say I've never done housework in heels and makeup. Maybe I was on my way out when someone spilled something that needed to be cleaned up before I left. Or tidied up the kitchen before me and my friends left the house for a night out.  But I can say I've never intentionally dresses up to clean up. That seems way to male fetishy and impractical. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mal Young interviewed in latest SOD.

Talks about his UK background in soaps and serials and his love of the genre, that Sony asked him to look at Y&R and he fell in love with it.

Recognized Justin Hartley from a pilot he wrote a few years back,impressed with onscreen talent and felt Sony wanted someone from 'outside' to give feedback on what he thought and what he could bring to the table.

Says difference between UK and US soaps is that US is an aspirational country that celebrates success and individual acheivment whereas UK sides with the underdog. Said that was result of events that shaped the cultures. But viewers in both countries wanted emotional connection with characters and everyone has family,birth,death etc whether rich or poor.

Feels Y&R is about aspirational people,big business and family.But also about those people who want to be there but can't make it and we identify with them.

Loves the setting, the family groupings and diversity. Diversity is important and wants to keep that going.Said EastEnders lacked that at one point and they adressed that.

Learns about the history of the show from people there and asks a lot of questions

Impressed with passion and professionalism of all involved .Wants viewers to be vocal. Have to surprise the audience,not just give them what they want.

• Members

I'm not sure I like that statement. I love a great story twist. I love when a story ending isn't telegraphed 6 months away. However, when the audience tells you they prefer this to that or don't like something, listen.

Example: Viewers don't and have never enjoyed crazy Sharon. Stop it!

• Members

It goes both ways - when crazy fanbases want to dictate story and bombard the show with stupid requests to keep their favourite couple together despite a lack of story potential (like those nutty Cane/Lily fans), I'd rather the show not listen...

Most EP's are only as good as their Head Writer anyway - if the rumours of Pratt being out when his contract expires in the fall are true, then Mal's first order of business needs to be finding a talented successor who can actually tell a sensible and coherent story - whether that be promoting someone from within with a lot of history with the show (like Janice Ferri Esser and Natalie Minardi Slater), going back to someone from the past (like Kay Alden and Jack Smith), or recruiting a talented writer from the UK he's worked with before. We'll see which direction he goes in - I'm hoping for a surprise as the fact that Mal is even at this show is a surprise and showed that SONY was thinking a bit outside the box for once, rather than recycling the same hacks that pass from soap to soap in the US. 

• Members

He needs to tell Eric Braeden he's earned himself a nice 6 to 12 month vacation and send him on his way.  I think most fans are tired of the Victor show.  They even had him hog airtime when he was in jail but was never really ever in his cell lolllll. 

• Members

^ That's stretching it quite a bit.  I will say the Phyllis/Kelly "who is the crazy one" story was definitely gaining momentum and my interest before UpChuck killed it.  

At least they didn't have Neil kidnapping people.  But they did no favors to Sharon.  Very hit or miss.

Anyway, I agree about what happened onscreen regarding Katherine's place.  But the show seems to be plodding along these days.  There's nothing interesting in any of the stories and it feels like the dialogue is repeated over and over.  Everyday.

• Administrator

If they don't want to pay him off right now, they just need to wait until his cycle ends.  It was reported he was joining Y&R in September but didn't officially take over in November.  

I'm sure Mal Young will have some influence on the stories.  Sony didn't bring him in to be put behind Pratt. 

Archived