How to become a writer for the Bells

• Members

I know this post will sound silly but--

My dream's always been to write for a soap. Not 'create one'. Just write for one of the shows I love.

The only ones left for me are Y&R and B&B. Both of them are in deep cr*p. Besides, I can't seem to find any info on how to get in. I mean, the Bell's entertainment company doesn't even have a website (as far as I know). What am I supposed to do?

Out of boredom, I found some members of the writing team on Facebook. I thought I might ask them. I could send 5 B&B episodes I've written. Would that feel too stalkerish?

Please note that I'm not an English native speaker, but I'm eager to perfect my English. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ABC and P&G used to have writer development programs you could apply for. I don't know about the Bell soaps. The problem with sending in unsolicited breakdowns or scripts is I believe they aren't supposed to read them due to copyright concerns. It may be better for you to send in an original script using characters from another show, since it doesn't concern their characters and they don't have to worry about being accused of stealing your idea for their own characters. They can judge whether you have potential as a writer based on your script.

• Members

Unfortunately, the scripts won't be read by anyone at the shows. They will simply be returned because legal reasons prevent the show from reading any unsolicited material. That is the course that is taken. If you don't receive them back, don't get excited, thinking that someone is reading them - they will simply get tossed in the trash.

CBS has a writers' program that you can look into, you should be able to google it and have some information come up.

Depending on your age, you could apply for an internship with the show, but it requires that you are receiving college credit.

One last thing, and this may sound harsh, but the writers on Facebook aren't looking to bring in any new talent, who could ultimately take their job - too much self-preservation involved in a shrinking industry.

Archived