Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

What is so Special about the folks of ABC DAYTIME!!?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,622 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Soap opera church?

#22 Mr. Vixen

Mr. Vixen

Red is Not Here for Your [!@#$%^&*].

• Members
  • 13,022 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

For real soap boy aka undercover? lol bet

Tell me how a question is hating? Some of you are tripping. Hate that.  One person started with the anmiated remarks and the rest of the clan follows suite how lame. Be your own person.

Thank you to the rest of you who chose to partake in adult convo instead of pasting whack ass gif's and the  on the down low cheerleaders that has to prop up some one else.

tumblr_mfg2moYeAN1rjme7ro1_250.gif

Have a seat and stop with the shade. I plus 1'd her because I thought it was funny giving how angry the title of this thread made you come across as. To be honest, I didn't even read your original post in this whack ass thread and Cheap's response was enough to let me know I didn't need to.

I don't know what happened around here, everybody's so damn paranoid and cray cray these days.

#23 Golden Duck

Golden Duck

ENJOY THE STRIP SEARCH, RON!

• Members
  • 5,567 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I never got why they skewed younger. I watched the CBS soaps until I was 20 and then I started watching ABC soaps. Not for the younger characters either. I fell in love with the vets on the shows. Even when they were undead. Here's looking at you Ghost Alan Q.

#24 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,622 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

Initially it was a way for ABC to try to break into the soap market which was still insanely loyal to CBS (and then NBC started to make in-roads with The Doctors and, after a year or two of not doing very well, AW and DAYS).  A younger audience was largely untapped for soaps in comparison--hence trying for shows which not just might actract younger but also different audiences (ie willing to be more diverse with OLTL, the failed youth "beach" soap Never Too Young which was replaced by the gothic and then supernatural soap Dark Shadows, etc).  While OLTL and especially AMC did emphasize younger than was typical (and there had been young romance before of course, like the huge Penny love story on ATWT), it was carefully done by Agnes so that, unlike Never Too Young, she realized how equally important the roles of the older generations were--something to this day soaps often forget when they get a mandate to do more youth stories.

#25 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

I guess you guys are only talking about the USA, since many of the ABC soaps never made it to other countries or did for very short runs. The shows that were most popular overseas were GH, Days, Y&R, B&B, Santa Barbara etc...Not many ABC soaps in that bunch.

#26 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,622 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Yes, of course we are.  :P  Well, North America (soaps have always had a large Canadian viewership and apparently a larger percentage of the population for some reason watches them here according to some sources--I'm sure there's a joke about it being toocold to go outside or do anything but watch tv here...  Another World before its cancelation oddly as one of the top daytime shows here).

But I think the popularity overseas was partly due to who sold their soaps first to foreign countries.  ABC was much less interested and saw much less opportunity to do so--so was behind the game.  Oddly, perhaps the most popular ABC soap overseas was Loving!  It was so popular in South Africa that people have mentioned one of the characters sorta pseudo officially joined one of their own soaps when it finished--I always doubted this so asked a friend of mine who lived in SA until three years back and he said absolutely--he never watched but could name the major characters and said they would get newspaper headlines.  It also was very popular in Italy and especially France. 

(I didn't think GH was that popular overseas.  In the 80s Pine Valley--AMC was very popular in Italy but it lost that by the nineties).

#27 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

Funny that shows like Santa Barbara and Loving were so popular in other parts of the world and were not great ratings grabbers in their country of origin.  

#28 AdelaideCate007

AdelaideCate007

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

Loving was definitely huge in South Africa. When I lived there, pretty much everyone I knew watched it.  When I lived in Italy, my neighbours would watch it with the subtitles on and learn English phrases and stuff like that from watching the show.  The thing I remember most about it airing in France was that it was called Lovingly Yours.

I thought Santa Barbara was like B&B and always way more popular overseas than it ever was in the US.

Edited by AdelaideCate007, 17 January 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#29 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

Yeah SB was big here in Australia, so was Another World until the early to mid 90's. Loving I don't think aired here, or at least I don't remember it.

#30 AdelaideCate007

AdelaideCate007

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

Yeah SB was big here in Australia, so was Another World until the early to mid 90's. Loving I don't think aired here, or at least I don't remember it.

Yep. I grew up in Australia most of the time, and we always watched SB, AW, and the Bell soaps. We had the other ABC soaps, but I don't ever remember Loving airing here. 

I didn't realise AMC was popular in Italy.

Edited by AdelaideCate007, 17 January 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#31 arcibaldo

arcibaldo

Dayplayer

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Yep. I grew up in Australia most of the time, and we always watched SB, AW, and the Bell soaps. We had the other ABC soaps, but I don't ever remember Loving airing here. 

I didn't realise AMC was popular in Italy.

In my country Italy AMC  not was popular but loving more .Capital more popular , first soap in prime time in Italy..

#32 Sindacco

Sindacco

Contract

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Funny that shows like Santa Barbara and Loving were so popular in other parts of the world and were not great ratings grabbers in their country of origin.  

Same with Sunset Beach.

#33 Nothin'ButAttitude

Nothin'ButAttitude

If only Ryan Guzman would allow me to wash my clothes [and tongu

• Members
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Same with Sunset Beach.

I know that SB had a huge cult in London. When I was study abroad there this summer and was watching EE with some Brit college students, they brought American soaps (which ones they liked, silly plots, etc) and for some reason, they preferred SB over any other show. Apparently they grew up with them and watched them when SB was running over in the UK. Another World was another one they raved about--at least the last couple of years, which we (Americans) loathed.

#34 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Well if we're talking about outside the US my mother said during the 80s Y&R was the most popular show in Trinidad & Tobago. Everyone was raving about that show around the time when people in the US were still raving about GH.

#35 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

ABC did try a few times to sell GH to international markets in the 80's and 90's, it just never caught on for some reason. 

#36 GregNYC

GregNYC

Recurring

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I guess you guys are only talking about the USA, since many of the ABC soaps never made it to other countries or did for very short runs. The shows that were most popular overseas were GH, Days, Y&R, B&B, Santa Barbara etc...Not many ABC soaps in that bunch.

I think that the ABC soaps use a lot of references to pop culture and current events, that by the time they air in foreign markets, they are old news. On the other hand, the CBS shows, especially the Bell soaps, exist in a bubble with no reference to pop culture or current news.

#37 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,622 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Loving prob benefitted from the fact they could show it from the start--and it was 30 minutes.  That's attractive to a lot of markets.

The Bells have actually said that in foreign markets they've noticed where Y&R does well, B&B flops and vice versa.

It also depends on where they're shown--recently AMC was picked up mid 2000s era for a tiny Aussie new channel that had zero watchers anyway--I think my Australian friend said it lasted a year and would score rating points of like 0.01

Also, as "more realistic" as UK and Aussie soaps (as well as some Euro soaps) tend to be--when it comes to American ones often the appeal seems to be more for "rich campy characters" which, while the ABC soaps have some of that aren't quite the same--even their camp is different.  SB and B&B back in the 80s could be seen as somewhat related to huge international hits like Dynasty.

I assume GL was bigin Germany since they're doing those major DVD releases of it there...

Edited by EricMontreal22, 17 January 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#38 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

I remember they did show GL, AMC and OLTL in the 90's on a Soap dedicated cable channel here in Australia. Because I remember watching them. But that didn't last past about 1999, and I am not sure what episodes were being shown.

#39 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,622 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

The one my ex Geoff, who lives in Melbourne mentioned would have been in the past 5 years.  I believe they showed GH too.  Anyway, it didn't last...

#40 AdelaideCate007

AdelaideCate007

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

I remember they did show GL, AMC and OLTL in the 90's on a Soap dedicated cable channel here in Australia. Because I remember watching them. But that didn't last past about 1999, and I am not sure what episodes were being shown.

Fox Soap on Foxtel! I miss that channel.

The one my ex Geoff, who lives in Melbourne mentioned would have been in the past 5 years.  I believe they showed GH too.  Anyway, it didn't last...

General Hospital has been on in Australia several times on several different channels. It was on Network Ten a few times, and it was on W and Fox8 too and then back on W and W2 most recently. Your friend is probably thinking of it being on W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users