DAYS Renewed through 2014!

• Members

Happy for Days fans and the cast and crew of the show. But IMO this renewal had less to do with Days performance than it did with all the issues surrounding NBCs lineup plus some other external factors.

- The Today Show is a disaster and Matt Lauers development deal agreed upon with his new contract seems to have been tabled. NBC has a long way to go to fix the problems on that show because they still don't see the real problems. The last thing they needed was another shakeup in their daytime lineup when their most profitable show is still waning and bleeding viewers.

- with the disastrous PR associated with the cancellations of the 2 ABC shows, the remaining soaps have gains more momentum that they have had in over 10'years and it makes sense for NBC to ride the wave.

I don't think Days writing or it's ratings performance was a factor in anything other than Sony and Corday probably having to drop their licensing fees again. I just don't buy the show was in any real danger of being dropped this time. Nor do I think they care about making any writing or production changes. The show will just continue to coast.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I absolutely agree with your assessment, DAYS got very lucky with the timing, they weren't really ever in danger of cancellation this time. The minute NBC shapes up and launches something else, like the much discussed Today's Professionals featuring Donnie Deutsch, Star Jones and Dr Nancy Sneiderman, to shrink The Today Show back down to a manageable size (as well as firing Matt Lauer) that's when DAYS should be concerned.

For now, the network has a dismal primetime lineup, a spiralling morning show and a corporate parent that is none too happy. DAYS, by comparison, is a success.

• Members

If I were NBC I'd see DAYS through it's 50th anniversary in November 2015 and launch a new show January 2016. It would be a real PR masterstroke, instead of killing the show NBC could spin it as "Celebrate Days of our Lives, the 50th Anniversary Conclusion to one of America's most enduring dramas, November, on NBC!"

• Members

I think NBC will keep DAYS as long as it turns a profit. They have much bigger problems like Today falling behind GMA and their primetime lineup still sucks in the ratings. YR and BB I feel are safe also. GH is the only soap I seeing going anytime soon.

• Members

It just makes sense to keep DAYS around through to its 50th anniversary and have it end on a perceived 'high' with a big celebration episode rather than to end the show when it's about to hit its 49th anniversary.

NBC needs to work on its daytime lineup, its primetime schedule and its syndication units. DAYS is the last thing it should be concerned about.

It absolutely turns a profit, the license fee NBC pays for the show is peanuts, that's why the show looks so cheap, the budget is flimsy because the license fee has been slashed repeatedly.

• Members

On the plus side, though, DAYS would have all of Burbank, North Hollywood, Toluca Lake, Sherman Oaks, Valley Village, Van Nuys, and even Studio and Universal Cities at their disposal. Definitely better than effing Peapack.

Archived