The Plan to Save Days 2013

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I said that on another board. The actors come across as tired, uninterested, and bored. I swear if you watch John Aniston when he's in the background, his eyes are closed. And how many times does Melissa Reeves have to play out the scenes where Jennifer mourns Jack after he dies? And when their characters do something out of character, the actors show that they're annoyed and frustrated.

• Members

This is where it starts and ends for me. I know it is heresy in some circles, but there it is. I know the show got big numbers from the man, but it ripped away - IMO - any semblance small-town sense Days' Salem had to do it, in terms of being grounded in a sense of realism while stuff happened to the inhabitants.

The '80s, for instance, started the larger-than-life stuff but, somehow, it still managed a sense ironically of still being that small town with families in the midst.

Reilly did shock value for its own sake, IMO, not out of any organic story issue. The stunts were cool for a while, but then it just got too out there, too far away from what the show was once about. And once the stunts started going in circles, once Reilly couldn't top his own stuff and started repeating, and once he started putting his strange personal beliefs ahead of the characters and their history (Bo and Hope could never reunite because Bo made a promise to Billie under God? What?! IT'S A SOAP!), that was the first nail in the show's coffin so long ago.

I know many will disagree with me here, and that's cool. But Reilly was the first harbinger of Days' doom, and his comeback only worsened it. He changed the very fabric and while the short-term gain was great, the lasting effect turned the show into camp city and the acting suffered for it, and never completely righted itself.

• Members

Reilly did amazing things for Days in the 90s. He truly brought the show new life and changed it.

The problem is the show has never moved on. Days lives in the past. It trys to bring back old supercouples and the feel of the 90's instead of finding a new idenity and sticking with it. The show actually did this for some time under, shockingly, Dena. Her days was very character based, multi generational, mixed up characters and had long term umbrella stories that had payoff. But it only lasted for about two years and then became stale.

• Members

Agreed. When Days re-imagined itself as a gothic soap about many families interacting across the generations, that is when it seemed to have real potential to move forward.

The potential is still there. The ingredients are there. But they are being used so blandly. Like Tomlin and Whitsell are petrified of thinking outside the box. Where is the heart? The excitement? Some people think excitement = speeding up stories but as Toups pointed out last month, Brady and Kristen sleeping together was rushed way too fast and should have been drawn out from a kiss to lusty dreams to the final act for maximum tension over the space of 3-6 months.

So according to us here, Days needs to:

- drastically improve storytelling.

- Up the tension/mystery/romance/a few out-there SLs and their pay-off. Make it fun and never boring.

- Re-jig the shooting schedule so that mistakes can be fixed according to viewer reaction (I suggest 1.5 months in advance).

- Fire Dr. McHairychest.

- Rebuild the younger set. I'd bring back JKJ, Shelley Hennig and Mark Hapka as a start.

- Retain the interaction between generations.

- Improve production standards (mostly a lighting and directing issue and shouldn't necessarily cost $$$).

- Bring back Bo.

• Members

True dat, but it's a pretty effing apt comparison if you ask me. As I've said before, I appreciate Gary Tomlin for bringing DAYS back to basics, both as HW, and before as Co-EP. But this guy (and Chris Whitesell's) heart clearly isn't in doing anything exciting or worthwhile for this show or its fans.

Same to this as well.

Or at least restrict his access to self-tanning lotions and tanning beds.

• Members

How about doing a little bit of all three eras? I would like to see DAYS build our families back up and reunite our supercouples and give us some fun, exciting adventure stories and give us some of the craziness of the 90s like Carly being buried alive, etc but at the same time not losing it's identity it had in the 60s and 70s and as a show based on family stories and drama.

• Members

I just saw the Jan 1st episode and I have to say the scene with Kristen laying in to John was brilliant. You had a nod to history, even with Kristen's slant on what happened, character development and motivation, good dialogue and great performances. Even Drake impressed me when he seemed so sad for Kristen while she was recounting how she felt and then angry and disgusted when she talked about Brady. While Eileen going from heartbroken to angry to just plain evil was amazing. This is the potential Days has and the richness of character that is being wasted on this show. Most of the characters on the canvas have the opportunity to be complex and interesting if given the chance. Even Gabi and Nick believe it or not.

I also liked Will confronting Nick the day after, Chandler seemed defiant yet slightly intimidated and though I dislike Nick he did shut Will down, despite the fact I got the sense Will had no interest in letting things go. Again so much of what they need in this show is there, and those two scenes showed me it is possible with the right writers.

I think Days can do the Bell era easily as I said these characters have the potential for something deeper. I do agree with others about what needs to change though and it is going to take a brilliant EP and HW to make it happen.

• Members

Who wrote the new years episode? They did a great job. That person needs to be head writer. But I'm sure Ken won't hire somebody who would give us good dialogue, character development, good stories and lots intriguing scenes. Instead he will do something stupid like hire writers who didn't work on other soaps or who didn't work on DAYS. Sigh :/

• Members

That would be Melissa Salmons. And yeah, she's been the best thing to happen to the writing staff in awhile. Fantastic episode. The 1/3 episode wasn't bad either. I totally buy the Eric/Sami as brother/sister. I'm hoping the energy in these episodes continues, but I'm not holding my breath.

Archived