Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Soaps longest Running Storylines.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 allmc2008

allmc2008

Sexy and I know it!

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

I am curious to know what some of the longest storylines on soaps are. I just read about a storyline on DOOL that ran from 1968 to 1975. I doubt that will ever see that happen again even if soaps where not in trouble!!

Edit:
Some people where wondering if this should be good or bad storylines. It can be either. I would like it if you indicated if it where good or not though. Also, things like love triangle don't count because when I mean a storyline I mean a storyline. I am talking about a Baby-Swap, Whose your daddy, Who-dun-it's or anything else that like that.

Edited by allmc2008, 05 October 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#2 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 41,166 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

It seems as if the Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle on B&B went on forever. It had a brief break when she "died" in 2002 but it lasted the better part of a decade since its inception in the early 90s

#3 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,750 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

EVERYTHING on Trassions!

#4 Gray Bunny

Gray Bunny

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Brooke/Ridge/Taylor overall lasted a great many year, but it wasn't the "same storyline" per se.

Is the original poster referring to DAYS' story of Mike Horton's true paternity? Or something else. It's pretty amazing that a paternity story where the viewers knew all along who the real father was lasted so long (I think it was 9 years, though Mike was an adult when the truth came out)

The story of Sami getting the goods on Kate/Lucas for framing her for Franco's murder took FOREVER to be resolved. A good 3 years.

Edited by Gray Bunny, 04 October 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#5 Chris B

Chris B

Kylie!!

• Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

I feel like this thread should only feature stories from Y&R, DAYS and Passions lol. The odd thing is, on all three soaps I never care how long certain stories went for. It's hard to explain, but the pacing and the writing worked. Bill Bell's Y&R felt like everything served a purpose. A weeks episodes blew by for me and it didn't seem boring, despite his stories running for years. Same with Passions. That show never bored me and it was as slow as it gets.

#6 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

The first go around of the Sami/Austin/Carrie triangle and all the stories that sprouted from it.

#7 DaytimeFan

DaytimeFan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,646 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Longest running soap storyline? Easy. Y&R: Kay vs Jill. 1973-2003 without interruption.

#8 Melroser

Melroser

Recurring

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Rex's paternity on OL! How many different fathers did he think he had?

Jessica too for that matter going from Clint to Mitch and then finally back to Clint.

#9 Dr Neil Curtis

Dr Neil Curtis

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Do you mean stories that lasted too long or good story that carried on for years. I best one I can think of is Mike's Paternity on Days and Sydney's kidnapping on Days. In my opinion those two were pretty good.

if you mean one that went on far too long I would say the Rafe 2 story and The Salem Stalker/Melaswen/The Castle story.

#10 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Theresa/Ethan paternity secret storyline ran the entire show!

#11 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

How long did the Sheila/Lauren babyswitch story last on Y&R?

#12 carolineg

carolineg

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

I think Mike's paternity ran the longest. I don't think it is fair to compare it to a rivalry or love triangle because those can last forever on soaps, but a true secret or twist that the viewers knew about for NINE years is crazy, IMO. Couldn't possibly be done now.

#13 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Dorian getting away with Victor Lords murder, ALL the viewers KNEW that she DID it and she got away with it, that went on for nearly 20 years. Then TIIC decided to change it.

#14 carolineg

carolineg

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Dorian getting away with Victor Lords murder, ALL the viewers KNEW that she DID it and she got away with it, that went on for nearly 20 years. Then TIIC decided to change it.

That's a really good one. Forgot about that.

#15 Quent

Quent

Contract

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

The Carolyn Crawford Murder Mystery on ATWT....it just seemed to go on forever.

#16 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Does Viki's DID count? That went on for nearly 40 years. I was a re-occuring disease that wasn't cured like "inoperable" brain tumors etc. Posted Image

#17 glatwt

glatwt

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

off the top of my head, lily's paternity maybe on Y&R, starting with dru sleeping with malcolm cause she she took too much cold medicine, to when it was revealed??? im sure there are others!!!

#18 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,612 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

What about the Babe/Bianca babyswitch on AMC didn't that go like over a year

#19 glatwt

glatwt

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

bill bell and james reilley are the KINGS of this thread and i LOVE them for it! great start to a LOOOOOOOONGGGG and outstanding finish!!!!

#20 Ms. Chandler Quartermaine

Ms. Chandler Quartermaine

Contract

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Passions is the biggest offender with this, Little Ethan's Paternity, Gwen/Rebecca framing Theresa for outing Ethan as a Bennett and not a Crane, Eve's secret love child with Julian etc etc.

I remember Sheridan was pregnant for over a year Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users