Rare UK soap themes

DRW50

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

saynotoursoap is wonderful. As I said in the "Revelations" thread, I recently purchased REV, and it's engaging viewing. I only hope NetworkTV releases the rest of the series. I've considered purchasing Soap Box, the DVD set that these opening themes came from. I'm particularly interested in "For Maddie With Love" even more so that I see Nyree Dawn Porter, Irene from the original 'Forsyte Saga' is in it. I love when her son Jon falls in love with Susan Hampshire's Fleur, who is the daughter of Irene's nasty first husband (who's name escapes me).

'Families' is another show I would really like to see especially since its final storyline seems to be the precursor for Russell T. Davies' work on 'Revelations.' The episode on Soap Box is the premier which features a storyline similar to 'Sons & Daughters' excluding the twin angle, but emphasizing the incest. Brother & sister Andrew and Amanda eventually runaway together to live happily ever after until a later rewrite suggests Amanda is no longer able to care for the child she had with the local stable manager.

Carl, the 'Revelations' clip featured here is from the first episode; it features the Rattigan home and Stephen Mapes (the soon to be married Gabriel). The bumper features Rachel and her godfather, John Mitchell, stranded on the road before the wedding. In a rather humorous moment, Jessica announces she, Charlie, and Caroline are going to go to the wedding and send the car back for John and Rachel. It wouldn't be proper for them to all pile into one car. Rachel finds it amusing; John isn't pleased.

"Gems" looks very 80s.

I've considered getting 'London Bridge' instead, but I think if I get this first I can see whether or not LB is worth investing in.

• Members

The people who did Families also worked at Corrie when it was actually good, and then went to Hollyoaks (I think they may still be at Hollyoaks). I'd definitely like to see the show. I heard it was acclaimed but not that well rated.

For Maddie With Love sounds like something to remember.

The Revelations opening looks like a station ident more than credits.

I'd like to see that Stephanie Beacham show too, although it sounds like it may have been one of those overly talky shows which were a trap in the 70's (even Corrie in the mid-70's had all these inexplicable scenes where people talked about war and vigilantism and so on).

• Members

You guys have an invitation to a private YT upload of For Maddie With Love. My account is precarious because the Bells reported me for a B&B episode. I am not sure what I can get away with from Freemantle and other UK producers, so I intend to keep these private. If there is anything else you, or other SON posters, want to see from the UK collection, send me an email at YT. I will see what I can do to upload the requests.

Jon

You are all wonderful for taking an interest in the classics and supporting my uploads!

• Members

I bought this set when I went on a Network DVD binge before Christmas. It's fascinating but there are episodes and indeed series that I would truly never want to watch again. Most of it was enjoyable but thought I'd give my views on the episodes from each end of the scale:

The Good

Rooms - Hard to determine whether it was an anthology or would ultimately be a soap. That said the writing and performances were fascinating, particularly from Anna Cropper who led the main storyline. Quite ahead of its time in dealing with an older woman falling for a younger man but the writing was sophisticated enough that she didn't seem like a complete idiot even if her actions said otherwise.

For Maddie With Love - Very oddly produced with minimalist set design and a non-linear timeline but this was compulsive and deeply touching viewing as it dealt with the main character being diagnosed with a terminal illness. I think the dialogue was the best on the set and it's hard to believe this was being watched in daytime over 30 years ago.

Harriet's Back in Town - This had a similar quality to FMWL but not nearly as sophisticated. It's a female empowerment piece about a spurned ex-wife whose husband has run off with a younger model. Very likeable characters and I'd be interested to know where it headed but then I do enjoy these stories so I'm probably biased. Naturally the new girlfriend is depicted as a bitch. Who can't cook.

The Bad

Marked Personal - Yeah, um, wow. You'd think with Stephanie Beacham that this would be an unearthed gem but you'd be severely mistaken. The premise is essentially the runnings of an HR department in a manufacturing business. Now I work in this area and even with that considered, would I really want to watch 30 minutes of someone dealing with a dull disciplinary case in the early 70s? No, and I doubt the majority of housewives in those days wanted to either. It's got some extremely high level interest if you want a quick touchstone of women's workplace experience. Which judging by this means either being a world weary arsehole (the boss) or a naive do-gooder (Stephanie Beacham's new recruit).

Emmerdale Farm - I had the FF button on overload. The sets, the acting, the accents. All grated on my last nerve. I've not counted the story because there wasn't one.

Gems - Covent Garden fashion scene in the 80s. One would expect glamour trash overload. What actually transpires is a group of dullards wandering in between two dingy rooms and playing with racks and sewing machines. In between making tea. I didn't know who was doing what to whom, what the story was or even really any sense of where it was set. I just saw that on the synopsis.

ETA: Saynotoursoap, I just want to echo the sentiment about the material you upload and as a longtime lurker, the contributions you make to discussion. Always fascinating and it's inspired interest me in soaps I'd never even considered viewing before.

• Members

I always enjoyed those first episodes, although that's mostly because I enjoy the slow characterization and distinctive characters (Annie, Jack, Mr. Wilks), with quiet Matt and Joe as a contrast. I do dislike Peggy though.

Thanks for the reviews. I *really* hope Rooms is available at some point. The credits alone hooked me.

• Members

You should definitely hunt it out if you can. Really engrossing.

As for EF, I don't know what offended me so much. I've never been a massive fan of the show beyond compulsively enjoying the Kim Tate trash in the mid 90s and what I saw of the Wyldes a few years ago. Yet there was something about the episode featured that enraged me. Annie Sugden was like a loud annoying bird.

Maybe I'm irrationally Yorkshire-ist, I don't know...

Archived