The BOOKS Thread!

leevo64

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another vote for Brave New World. It was one of those books that I'd also meant to read but hadn't gotten around to it, so right after I graduated college (two years ago! cripes), I made myself read it. It took me a little while to get sucked in -- at first I thought it was interesting and well written, but I wasn't "hooked." But it got me after 100 pages or so, and I'm glad that I now have it under my belt.

I hardly had any time to read all semester long, so now that it's summer, I'm enjoying some time with books. I just read If the Creek Don't Rise by Rita Williams, which is a memoir of her life growing up as a black girl in a rural Colorado town. I didn't expect to like it so much -- I read it as a recommendation from my boss -- but I breezed through it in 3 days. Also, if you're looking for something light, The Devil Wears Prada is fun. I read it after seeing the movie, for comparison's sake, and I really enjoyed it as something light and summer-y.

• Members

Currently I'm reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

The book is incredible thus far, and is a scathing look at what really went on in meat factories.

Honestly, after I finish this, it'll probably be very hard for me to eat meat again.

• Members

I love horror novels, especially Bentley Little and John Saul. Right now, I'm reading Perfect Nightmare by John Saul.

I plan to get The Ruins by Scott Smith the next time I'm at BAM.

• Members

I am on my 3rd time reading of The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren.

This is the book that should have been made into a movie long before Brokeback Mountain. It has one of the best gay love stories ever. It has been optioned for movies several times, even once starrring Paul Newman, but each time it falls through.

• Members

I started reading Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. Its a long read but I like it so far. It is keeping me interested. I'm also reading George Orwell's 1984. I read it in high school but I didn't get a chance to get into it cause I used cliff notes but now that I have a chance to really get into it, I love it. I'm also in the middle of Truth and Existence by Jean-Paul Sartre but it is a very hard read, so I'm taking that a few pages at a time, lol.

• Members

I am currently reading After Bali by Jason McCartney with Ben Collins.

It is about Australian Rules footballer Jason McCarntney who was in Paddy's bar when it was bombed on 12 Oct 2002 and his fight back from death's door to still walk down the aisle on Dec 14th 2002 and then return to play football at the top level in June 2003.

He may have only played that one game and retired afterwards, but just the fact that he made it back to that level I think sent a clear message that terrorism will never win.

Archived