The BOOKS Thread!

leevo64

• Members

Thanks DevotedToAMC, DaysFanJean and Michael for the Brave New World thumbs up - I'm gonna start it this weekend :)

If thats the one by Dostoevsky, I've got that on my reading list too. It looks long and heavy, but I thought that way about Chekhov before I read his short stories - which I was blown away by. I have no clue if they are similar, I merely associate the two because they are both russian from the same-ish time period and sit on my bookshelf together - which reading back now sounds very tacky of me ;)

I finished We Need to talk about Kevin yesterday and it was very moving, moreso because its not really my genre of choice. Contrived in parts, but overall very insightful and gems of wisdom on many of its pages.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right now, I'm reading "On the Street Where You Live" by Mary Higgins Clark. It's a good book up to now. I'm only at page 30 or so LOL.

She's a really good author. I would also like to read "Two Little Girls in Blue" by Mary Higgins Clark before the summer is over.

• Members

Finished Tuesdays with Morrie and wasn't as moving as the author intended it to be.

Began Crime and Punishment and it's pretty good so far. The names are tricky!

Has anyone read In the Company of the Courtesan?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I tossed Brave New World - Sorry, I know you all loved it. It seemed very 1984, which was much better. JMHO.

Now reading Ian McEwan's First Love, Last Rites - some of his short stories. This man likes incest and gender role playing within families just a little too much....

• Members

I just started reading The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks for the second time. For those that don't know, that's the sequel novel to The Notebook.

Before this, I read A Million Little Pieces. I don't care if he made it up or not, it was still a pretty good book.

Shawn, The Jungle is an awesome book. I was like you, leary of eating meat again. :P

Marilyn, you're reading Anna Karenina? Whew, that's long - you must have a lot more patience than me!! :D I had to read it in school and it nearly killed me! It's funny how while you're in school, you hate reading (or at least I did anyway). Now I do it for fun!

• Members

Is it fiction or non-fiction? :huh:

I need some help with a book title. Here's what happens: Hitler fled to Brazil and some sperm was taken from him and implanted into women over there, so there were about 40 Hitler kids running around.

Anyone heard of it? :mellow:

Also, one about the Charles Lindbergh kidnapping... decades later the Lindbergh baby turns up alive.

Archived