2006: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll buy that. I think that's when I, too, enjoyed the show. But I must say that I enjoyed Rayfield much more than I enjoyed Richard Culliton (who Rayfield succeeded), so I didn't notice the suckage as much. But, yeah, now that I think back on it, the majority of what was written that I had enjoyed was by both Rayfield and Cascio.

Richard Culliton, besides having one of the most annoying voices, should really stick to script writing. I hated, hated, hated his version of AMC. The only thing I can thank him for was creating the character of Simone Torres.

• Members

I, on the other hand, tuned out quickly when Rayfield took over from Culliton. The depth, relatability, and excitement seemed to disappear from the stoylines pretty quickly after Culliton left. It all started seeming really generic and boring to me. Maybe I didn't give Rayfield enough of a chance. It could also be Brian Frons's fault. I never saw Cascio's work so can't comment on her.

Also, I think Culliton's voice is fine.

This is what I loved about Richard Culliton at AMC:

- Frankie! And what Frankie meant for Bianca and Erica.

- "Vanilla or rocky road?", lol; in general, the trademark Culliton wit

- Putting together Anna and David

- The Proteus story as an umbrella storyline, and overall integration of the cast

- Mary Smythe and her nuanced relationship with her daughter, her parents, and Roger ... But that may be more because of the Anna Stuart/Donna Love on AW fan in me (again because of Culliton -- I started watching AW because of him), rather than the character of Mary.

- Trey Kenyon and his connections to the Hayward/DuPres clan as well as to Kendall; what an interesting new character!

- Trying to start a Tim/Maggie/Bianca triangle -- would have been groundbreaking

- Brooke being frontburner over the summer of 2002

- Joe Martin having a storyline

- Opal and Hank

- Greenlee's funny fantasies about Leo and Laura; Laura's funny fantasies

- Having layers of meaning in scenes

- Bringing on Frank Hubbard -- too bad he was written off so soon after Culliton left.

- Leo and Greenlee having everyday relatable dialogue in their scenes at home ... gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling even now

- Memorable funerals and mourning scenes

- Exciting cliffhangers

- Simone and her issues with her psychiatrist father Zeke McMillan

- Generally -- multigenerational storytelling, social relevance, digging into characters, family and community, and humor, with some mystery too ... I can hardly imagine a better soap!

• Members

I, on the other hand, tuned out quickly when Rayfield took over from Culliton. The depth, relatability, and excitement seemed to disappear from the stoylines pretty quickly after Culliton left. It all started seeming really generic and boring to me. Maybe I didn't give Rayfield enough of a chance.

Also, I think Culliton's voice is fine.

This is what I loved about Richard Culliton at AMC:

- Frankie! And what Frankie meant for Bianca and Erica.

Wow -- 13 weeks of a convoluted storyline. Was she a con? Was she not? Was she lesbian? Was she straight? If she was a con, what was she conning for? Was she working for Proteus? :rolleyes: Then the circus of a courtcase Erica pulled out of her ass because she thought Bianca killed Frankie after seeing her in bed with JR? Then the whole "we must keep Bianca from seeing butterflies!!!" Get the hell outta here! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

- "Vanilla or rocky road?", lol; in general, the trademark Culliton wit

He was witty, I'll give him that.

- Putting together Anna and David

That got old QUICK! "Do what I want you to do, David, or I'll arrest you!" But that did bring about one of my favorite lines EVER!

David: (after Anna caused his computer to implode) "What the hell were you doing?!"

Anna: "I told you I was investigating you!"

David: "You call that shoddy work 'investigating'?!"

- The Proteus story as an umbrella storyline, and overall integration of the cast

Another source of rapidly aging storylines. After the big Proteus reveal during the Crystal Ball, it got old. Especially considering it had one of the most lackluster, uninspired endings ever -- topped only by McTavish's recent Madden in a Box reveal.

- Mary Smythe and her nuanced relationship with her daughter, her parents, and Roger ... But that may be more because of the Anna Stuart/Donna Love on AW fan in me (again because of Culliton -- I started watching AW because of him), rather than the character of Mary.

Pretty much.

- Trey Kenyon and his connections to the Hayward/DuPres clan as well as to Kendall; what an interesting new character!

Hated the character from the word GO! One more attempt by Culliton to make this All Vanessa's Children. While I LOVED Marj Dusay and her original version of Vanessa Bennett -- and I actually said a "You go girl!" when she was revealed as Proteus -- Culliton just got WAY outta control when it came to writing this character after the Proteus reveal... and by adding Trey to the mix, it screwed up the time line of sooo many things.

- Trying to start a Tim/Maggie/Bianca triangle -- would have been groundbreaking.

You're reaching. It would've been groundbreaking if Maggie had been an interesting character that stood on her own and did more than pack her suitcase every five episodes because Anna and David were fighting. And if Bianca was actually pursuing Maggie, instead of pushing her on to Tim -- and if MAGGIE HAD DETERMINED HER SEXUALITY! There were too many variables and unanswered questions for that to have been a grounbreaking storyline.

- Brooke being frontburner over the summer of 2002

And I hated her that year. Absolutely HATED her. Making deals with the devil to keep Maureen Gorman a secret from Edmund? :rolleyes:

- Joe Martin having a storyline

What was it? :unsure:

- Opal and Hank

Yeah, um... Did Opal ever find out that Erica paid Hank off to leave town? Or was that just yet another loose end by this amazing storyteller?

- Greenlee's funny fantasies about Leo and Laura; Laura's funny fantasies

Puff, puff, PASS, dammit! PASS!! I wanna see these hallucinations as well!

- Having layers of meaning in scenes

See above.

- Bringing on Frank Hubbard -- too bad he was written off so soon after Culliton left.

Eh... but I do think Jason Olive was/is absolutely DELISH!

- Leo and Greenlee having everyday relatable dialogue in their scenes at home ... gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling even now

Leo: "You're a bottomless pit of need." Ah, yes... all those warm and loving things Leo said while doing his best to totally tear down Greenlee so he could feel noble for staying married to Laura Kirk English -- and to make himself feel better for lusting after Greenlee in the process.

- Memorable funerals and mourning scenes

Puff, puff... you get the picture.

- Exciting cliffhangers

Any examples?

- Simone and her issues with her psychiatrist father Zeke McMillan

That was good.

- Generally -- multigenerational storytelling, social relevance, digging into characters, family and community, and humor, with some mystery too ... I can hardly imagine a better soap!

Me neither. Too bad he didn't write it on AMC.

• Members

I don't see how Reyfield can be so liked. Didn't he like flood the show with a bunch of new characters, i.e. Laurie and her father? I remember tuning out so much around this time until Cascio joined. During the end of Reyfield and Cascio's reign they were pretty good. The death of David and Anna's child and affects of it was classic soap opera material.

I'm not saying Culliton is the best writer in the world, but compared to Reyfield, he was a million miles better IMO. Culliton was at least trying to make AMC better, all Reyfield tried to do was make the show into "All My Newbies". Culliton's stories had great premise, but wandered off the path almost everytime. Plus at least his new characters, to me, were intreguing and had somewhat of depth and a backstory (interesting to say the least). I mean introducing Richard Field's son onto the canvas, genius. However the way that it played out on screen sucked. I hated that he was a spy. Despite that I loved Simone's premise also. The Smythe's were also good. I don't really remember one single good thing to point out from Reyfield's reign.

• Administrator

I guess it's true that all those writers will be leaving.

That sucks AS had to leave. She's an old school DAYS writer and one of the better script writers on the staff.

I wonder whose name will disappear next.

• Members

Anyone who says Rayfield was better than Culliton sure has selective memory. I don't care if you don't like Culliton, but ranking him lower than Rayfield is just absurd/crazy/stupid/ridiculous. Rayfield's "achievements" - the intro. of Fusion and What Women Want, Maria and Aidan in the Bahamas being chased after Julian and Morgan (who? exactly), Jake turning into an insta-adulter and sleeping with Alison the slut and then breaking up with Mia via note, JR and Laurie's lame Romeo and Juliet story and Laurie's drunken father, Greenlee's secret admirer in the form of Carlos and we can go on. It was just lame, putrid and awful. Neverending newbies and absolutely no vets. The show went on an upswing the second Anna Cascio arrived, so I will not give Rayfield an ounce of credit for the show the last few months of their reign.

• Members

I caught what I believe are two new script writers for Y&R! This was one of those "&" episodes suggesting that both wrote the episode. Here's what IMDB tells me...

Jeff Gottesfeld - One episode of Smallville.

Cherie Bennett - ATWT (breakdown writer), Another World/Port Charles (story consultant). Plus same episode of Smallville as Gottesfeld.

The two also wrote a film called Broken Bridges which has good reviews on IMDB. It features Kelly Preston, Burt Reynolds and Willie Nelson.

Now Toups and you other behind-the-scenes gods, tell me, are they any good? BTW, nobody has answered me in regards to Rick Draughton (from DAYS) who was recently brought on. Is he good or bad? I'm guessing he was suggested by Cwikly.

ETA:

I finally watched Fridays episode and it was very good so the new script writers did a good job. The scenes also seemed longer as opposed to the extremely quick cuts we've been getting.

Archived