2006: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cute.

Well, your opinion is clearly based on his body of work all across the board. Great. My opinion is based on his work as AMC HW 2001-2002 after having watched the show myself every day since 1989 -- and his work was far from this amazing experience that others seem to believe his writing is. There are writers who are adaptable to the whichever canvas they're given to work with, and there are some whose skills and formulas are an acquired taste, and are not easily mixed with every show.

Granted, I liked Culliton's work the first thirteen weeks. He was a serious step up from Jean Passanante who sent AMC into a swirling eddy of horridness. But then "Cullitoon" started showing his true colors, what with, Laura English going bonkers for no reason. Erica's circus of a murder trial when she was being tried for Frankie's murder because she just assumed Bianca MURDERED the girl in cold blood over a broken heart (what heinous conclusion for a mother to immediately jump to). Vanessa/Proteus having sixty five multiple personalities out of nowhere. I won't even go there about what a joke Trey Kenyon was. And the creation of Aidan? It's been four years, and Aidan still has yet to serve a purpose on this show. Granted, Jean Burke and Judy Blye Wilson were both self-lubricating over Aiden Turner, so they had a hand in Aidan Devane being thrust into the mix, but still... Plus his love affair with Greenlee. I mean, really! By the end of his run, Greenlee was practically the next Bill Gates with all this money she supposedly had. Which leads me to everyone being rich! Brooke English was paying Leo to stay married to Laura. Are you for real? Brooke was a classier character than that. Buying her daughter a himbo? The woman who runs the homeless shelter shows her compassion for humanity by renting her daughter a gigolo. Right. Okay. I just believe he sorely missed the mark with AMC. His stories would've worked better for One Life to Live. Especially the elements of people being exceedingly rich and the Proteus story.

• Members

I don't disagree with some valid points, but Culliton had nothing to do with Brooke paying Leo. That was Passanante and Michael Conforti. He inherited that awful story and made it (IMO) as entertaining as possible under the circumstances by making Laura a loon and then quickly brought it to an end.

I doubt he wanted Aidan, that was forced on him, I mean there was no casting call for that character, he tried out for Trey which would not have worked and.....well your description of JDB and JBW is perfect lol.

• Members

LOVe the JDB and JBW comment!

RC may have had his faults, but he was a REAL headwriter who did the work required of the position. He didn't come him in and just throw [!@#$%^&*] up against the wall and waited to see what would stick like most of the others do.

I suspect he's very happy being a scriptwriter. He's not only good at it, but he enjoys it.

Going further back in the thread to Rayfield, I doubt his DAYS gig has to do with any relationship with Fred Johnson (I don't think there's that much love there). I'm sure it has to do with agents. Hogan and Rayfield (and Johnson) all have the same agent.

The agent connection is very powerful in daytime (too powerful, unfortunately). But headwriters sometimes give a chance to a writer because they have the same agent....it's that simple.

• Members

The writing credits on AMC today read:

written by

MEGAN MCTAVISH

written by

ADDIE WALSH

STEPHEN DEMOREST

MICHELLE PATRICK

JEFF BELDNER

written by

AMANDA L. BEALL

Chip Hayes was not listed..... does this mean anything? Wasn't his contract reported to be up this November anyway?

• Members

No, I don't think so. Because it was like this on the 9/11 episode. I think Beall wrote both and Beldner just edited as usual, since Beall has done both before. Even when she was listed as one of the BDWs she wrote a script from someone else's breakdown and her name was in both sections. So I think if Beldner wrote the breakdown, his name would've been above Beall's.

• Members

Remember that gypsy fortune teller "Jackie"? She/He said that Hayes (along with Buglar, Cohen and Taylor I believe?) had already written his last work back in August.

Right now would be a really great time for an AMC mole to come in here and tell us when Chip Hayes' final draft breakdown was dated so we could know if this is true. I understand things are plotted about 13 weeks ahead, but aren't they written only 6-8 weeks ahead? So the timing of "Jackie's" information about Hayes already writing his last work seems a little off. Maybe it's just a fluke? :unsure:

• Members

Hey Adam! Hope you have a Merry Christmas - Happy New Year!

Anyway, so I've always kind of wondered what the writing credits means. As in - I know McT is the head writer and she's listed first. Then the final writer(s) are the actual script writers (as Amanda is here). But There is usually 3-4 listed, then a space, then another writer - then they go on with the script writer. So that means the 3-4 are the Breakdown Writers and the name after the space in that section is the outline or editor?

Basically - if someone could just outline what the writers are in the writing credits...that'd be great. :)

• Members

I don't pay attention to other networks, but ABC currently goes:

AMC

Written by

Head Writer

Written by

Associate Head/Breakdown Writers

Story Editor

Written by

Episode Breakdown Writer

Episode Scriptwriter

OLTL

Written by

Head Writer

Written by

Written by

Episode Scriptwriter

Story Editor

GH

Written by

Head Writer

Episode Scriptwriter

Story Editor

For some reason OLTL and GH don't list their episode breakdown writers. :unsure:

Archived