days: my expectations of Hogan Sheffer

• Members

My expectations of Sheffer:

I think that Sheffer will create/recreate a new Days.

1. You will see people doing their job. John Black hasn’t worked at his office for about 3 years now. You will see him interact with co-workers, so that you get some insight in his daily lives.

2. You will see complex characters. Characters will have real motivations for their actions.

3. As far as teens go. Yes they will have a separate storyline in the summer. At ATWT in the summer of 2004 they had a 6 Keys To The Kingdom contest. The local newspaper published clues to the locations of the keys. The first one to have required number of keys won $ 300.000-. You saw characters comparable with Abby having contact and interaction with someone like Alice Horton. It was real fun to watch.

4. Couples don’t always have perfect relations. Stress at work, problems with the kids, jealousy etc. are all included. Sheffer likes to create a little tension and arguments, however couples won’t be filing for divorce or cheat within seconds after a fight.

As far as characters concerned, below I made a list of days character I believe are somewhat comparable to some characters at ATWT.

1. Kate Roberts(Barbara Ryan at ATWT). A smart woman who is not easily manipulated.

2. Jack Deveraux(Craig Montgomery). A smart guy, maybe a bit cocky, but caring about family.

Also I think you could expect the return of a few characters:

1. Tony Dimera(Craig Montgomery). Smart, suave and complex. We still need some answers to the Brady-Dimera feud.

2. Stefano Dimera(James Stenbeck). They are both criminal masterminds and they both came back from the death more than once.

Furthermore, the storylines will move along faster.

I hope to have given some insight

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If this is what transpires it would be beyond awesome. I'd love to see couples shown actually working through real(ish) problems, having conflicts, being on the outs, etc. without jumping right into bed with someone else.

I do hope he won't completely drop the "adventure" stories however. As long as he'll stay on this side of somewhat-realistic.

• Members

OK I think Hogan Sheffer is going to be good for DAYS, but let's not pretend he's something he isn't. Number 1 is absolutely laughable. Nobody ever worked while Sheffer was on ATWT, except doctors and police officers. Sure, most people still MENTIONED their jobs, but seldom were they seen doing them. As for number 3, Keys to the Kingdom was awful, but that is subjective. As for number 4, re: couples cheating on each other seconds after a fight..... Carly and Mike in fall 2002, anyone?

• Members

I don't agree with No. 1 either. The emphasis was on the cops and the doctors, but corporate stuff took a backside to the stories. Only when Rose came to work for Lucinda did we even see too much of World Wide. And before Hogan it was a regular used set. It was used a little as an introduction for the Craig character when he tried to take over.

Then he used some of the fashion world stuff as a backdrop for Carly and Barbara's feud.

And yes he did have couples jumping into bed with others. Mike & Carly slept together quickly - even while she was engaged to Jack. So he did do some of that. And she constantly flirted with Craig. It was not as widespread as on Days lately but it was there.

I think Hogan will be great for Days, but I think it will be different in some ways from what we have seen on Days in the past. We only have one show to compare too, but both shows are alike in some ways but they are also very different. I will be interested to see if he does any of the adventure type stories because even though he wrote mystery stories he didn't really write adventure stories alot. The one time he wrote an on-the-run story with locations and all with the Lucy and gang I thought it was one of the worst stories he wrote there. I would not like to visit that again or anything similar. Nor would I want to revisit a story like the Keys story - it was awful in my opinion too.

I thought his best stories or developments were the Craig & Carly relationship, Craig & Barbara's marriage, Barbara's getting burned, Barbara kidnapping Rose, Carly, and Emily, and then my absolute fave was the Rick Dekker story. If he sticks to stories of those type I think he will be great again.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Hogan relies heavily on a co HW.

In one of his ATWT interviews he said it was Jean Passanante who pushed the storyline where Bryant Montgomery was killed.A mistake in my opinion.The actor,Todd Rotondi wasn't the greatest but Bryant was connected to a core family.

He also said he was lousy at coming up with character names.He said he would create a new character on paper and leave it to Jean to come up with a name.

If that is true then Meg Kelly has a lot of power at DAYS.

Archived