World Cup 2006

WTGH

• Members

Really down this a.m. :(

See, this is why I hate hate HATE the [!@#$%^&*] World Cup. Because it drags you through a [!@#$%^&*] emotional ROLLERCOASTER to the point where you think you need a prescription for Prozac.

My two favorite teams in the world: France & Italy. France because I'm half-french. And Italy because a friend once won a contest and got a free trip to see an Italian football game out of it, and he took me with him. It was so exhilirating and exciting that I fell in love with the Italian game right then and there.

Of course it had to be a hard-played draw. Of course it had to get nasty. Of course I was totally torn all the way through.

And Zidane who IMO is the best player of his generation -- this was his swan-song. He retires forever from ALL football after that game. And he had to head-butt Materazzi in the chest?! WHY? He's usually so calm under pressure. He's not an outgoing, show-off of a guy - he's usually very low-key and classy. To lash out like that -- what was said to him to make him react?

Oh well. Maybe it is divine retribution. Six years ago, in 2000, France played Italy in the European finals, Italy were the better team but France scored at the 91st minute and won the Championship. The Italians were devastated. Maybe Italy needed to win more last night. It was meant to be!

Italy deserved the World Cup. But I feel bad for Zidane because he was a footballing legend. However, now his career will be forever remembered/tainted by that Head-Butt.

*sigh* Onward and upward, I 'spose. :)

<rant over>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LMAO! I'm glad France lost, even though I hate when a team loses to penalty kicks. I'm still bitter that they knocked my team off at the semi-finals!

Zidane is an amazing player, but I've never liked him...he totally cost his team the victory.

• Members

Yeah, he did cost 'em. It was a really extreme, vicious act and a total embarrassment to football. I know there ain't much France-love going around, to say the least, LOL. But... what can I say? I love my mom and I can't ignore bloodties when it comes to football! Even though I have a really HUGE crush on Italy's Fabio Cannavaro. :wub:

As for Portugal, Cristiano Ronaldo has bigger things to worry about now. Like the fact that the English are out for his blood. Apparently his home in Manchester got burgled. :blink: Poor dude's going to need bodyguards when he goes back.

• Members

LMFAO!!!

Those crazy brits. :lol:

-I'm glad Italy won. They haven't won in TWENTY FOUR YEARS.

I was nervous when the game went to penalty shots, since Italians have downright TRAGEDIES with penalties.

I was hoping Germany would lose against Portugal. Those bastards took out Argentina. :angry:

Brasil was a disgrace... disappointment, failure, total crap.

• Members

I feel bad...it must be hard to compete against the country that you normally play for. But still...that's hilarious! :lol: He should live in Lisbon for the time-being until things calm down.

I wished Portugal had beat Germany b/c I'm pissed off that they beat Argentina, but I figured that the team just stopped caring when they lost to France. I know how stubborn us Portuguese people can be! :lol:

I really thought that Argentina deserved to be in the finals. Stupid Germany!! This is why I hate penalty kicks. It's not a team effort at all w/ those.

Archived