• Members

Which is how it's been since at least 2016 IMO. RC's tenure became an absolute debacle and he fully deserved to be fired, but there was not a sense he was just marking time. It was his nutty fixations all the way. Frank alone is another story.

I am still watching for at least another week or two, but I'm also a week or so behind. I think there's still some good day to day material onscreen and interesting potential but I agree the stories remain a schizophrenic mess, and like caroline I also find it futile and hopeless since Mulcahey already has exited. As of now I have no faith in systemic improvement with FV still at the helm.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

It's like what @carolineg said before: it seems like no one in charge is passionate about the show anymore.  Which is a shame, of course, because I don't believe GH is past the point of no return, like "Peapack LIVE!" was.  It just needs someone to make the right decisions while still keeping the trains running on time.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Unless Valentini quits, I dont see ABC Disney firing him. Story is more important to fans, HOWEVER, Budget is more important to ABC DISNEY & FV still keeps that budget in check even with new sets. 

• Members

Any halfway competent EP can balance a budget sheet. That’s literally one of the core basics of that job. No one should think FV is any special because of that. 

An EP is also supposed to steward the tone and creativity energy and stability of the show. And make tough decisions when things don’t work. FV has never excelled at any of this. 

• Members

I do think Wheeler and Jill Lorie Hurst at least had some ideas, which Frank doesn't (the merit of Wheeler's ideas is dubious of course) but I agree that GL by that point was doomed.

• Members

What about Shelley Curtis? I recall her stating when she did Bold (as a director), she was told they were running over time, had 15 scenes and had one-hour before they went into penalty (overtime), so she pooled the cast together and finished those 15 scenes in 45 minutes. I think she could do some amazing work..., but I just worry Disney Television is not going to allow anyone to do what needs to be done to fix this shít.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I doubt Disney gives two shíts about the content of GH. I haven't seen evidence of them substantially meddling in this show in years and years, otherwise it would've had a real executive and creative changeover long ago. It's Frank's world and he's an easy, cheap guy to leave in the position, and so you have a show that is largely constructed around his preferences and tastes. Nathan Varni might get involved, but that's about it.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I don't know... previous head writers have gone on to say TPTB have stopped storylines, and since 2020 (when things really got watered down), Disney Television Studios has been the controlling interest over ABC Signature. Though, I am surprised Eden McCoy's nipples made it past censors in yesterday's episode... 'cause that was a choice. But I fully believe network / production meddle in what storylines to tell, and how far they go in pushing the envelope.

• Members

I have been harping on this for some time too, so I agree with both of you. The show sometimes feels more like an assembly line production. It looks good, it’s out on time, but there is no soul, nothing emotional to hang on to.

I do think Frank brings more to the table than just the budget. Tomlin got DAYS under budget, and it showed. GH looks like it still has the kind of money JFP would want in 2011 for the most part, except the lighting. He lights the show like Rauch lit Guiding Light- so bright!

After watching the last couple days, I feel for NLG. She showed up to work, and has been the most emotional part of Gregory’s death. The show is lucky to still have her because she is trying to make the emotions of the scenes work. Most of the vets do, but she’s been kind of pushed away for several years. It’s a shame they don’t use her like they should.

Finn is in the best story of his time on the show (as this character). Unfortunately, I don’t care about him, so it’s wasted on me. I can appreciate ME is doing good work even if overall I would rather watch other characters.

• Members

No. They were poking straight through her bathing suit. They might want to either turn the A/C units down, or consider some pasties the next time she's in the bathing suit.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think the show has been bland as hell since long before 2020, myself. I just don't get the sense Disney even really knows or cares GH exists. It fills a slot and is passable for numbers, therefore it continues to function. For most of the time that appears to be the extent of their purview. Yes, you hear stories of occasional things being clamped down on but this is far from the days of Brian Frons or Angela Shapiro or any other micromanaging network figure who had a real stake in the soaps. The most you have is middling executive Nathan Varni, a meager fish by comparison with nowhere near that power. I absolutely do not believe the 800-character ensemble, fixation on Violet, Valentin, four characters for 2 OLTL stars, etc. has anything to do with Disney or ABC. That's all Frank.

I agree. They've been doing real work and I think the material has been good. I do agree with others that Easton and Nancy have chemistry, but it's too late to capitalize on. I think the most Finn and Alexis had was one makeout session a few years ago, and they put it to bed IIRC bc they were both recovering addicts and felt it would be unhealthy. Were Mulcahey still there I suppose I wouldn't mind a ONS, but what's the point? Just get rid of Finn period.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It definitely began to be bland prior to 2020, but any sense of suspense went out the door in 2020 post-COVID. And that's around the time Disney Television Studios became what it is now. At the end of the day, something major needs to fücking change in order for this soap to... push itself back towards what it was... and I just don't see it happening unless Frank Valentini and Nathan Varni are OUT, and that would only be the start.

• Members

I agree!!

I still haven't decided whether Frank has no tastes or just bland and inoffensive ones.