BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Members

I hope the budget is there to back The Gates.

I'm as excited as everyone else about the project, but I want it to look good and I want to feel good watching it. I do not want to see obvious cheap-outs and clear signs of a limited budget.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

it’s also a co-production with NAACP and P&G, so the bill is getting split a few ways (we just don’t know the % for each party). Even with smaller budgets though,  you can do a lot. The problem is Y&R and B&B are plagued by bad management and people who don’t know how to work around it.

If they do end up in Atlanta, that should help with studio space and storing sets quickly, not to mention a built in locale for exteriors and location shooting. A lot of production are based there because of the tax incentives. 

For all its faults and shoestring budget, The City’s production model from 1995 would be a nice template to relook at for the soaps. 

• Members

Michele Val Jean and Sheila Ducksworth were producers on Jamey Giddens' series "Ambitions"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9319680/fullcredits

Ambitions was fictionally set in Atlanta and was also filmed in Atlanta:

https://www.businessinsider.com/movies-tv-shows-filming-georgia-abortion-bill-2019-5

https://www.projectcasting.com/blog/casting-calls-acting-auditions/own-ambitions/

• Members
Posted (edited)

When (hopefully when, not if) this finally begins production, I expect CBS will mandate that Y&R step their p*ssy up and reach out to lapsed viewers, particularly their black audience, in preparation for a stronger daytime line-up. Perhaps a story arc involving the return of Shemar Moore. Maybe they'll finally remember Tonya Lee Williams. And if Victoria Rowell isn't wisely scooped up for The Gates, a back-from-the-dead Drucilla would be heavenly. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members
Posted (edited)

It would all add up so nicely. Have the show set in Atlanta. TP offers up his impressive studio for taping. Have this rich black family living in the wealthy upscale community of Buckhead. Give us those juicy storylines that only the ATL could produce. WINNER!

Edited by vanguard

• Members

I’ve heard that filming in LA had gotten to be almost as expensive as filming in NYC, hence why so many productions have migrated to Atlanta. It makes sense to me along with Atlanta often being the main hub for the black entertainment industry - there’s wide pool of talent they can pull from there (along with other parts of the country obviously).

I feel like the premise of this show will evolve as they work through the Bible and pre-production. I know it mentioned a focus on a wealthy black family -  but they will obviously need an element to counter that to make the show work. 

Also, they absolutely can’t afford to have the “black culture” in this show be whitewashed like it is on the 4 existing soaps. A show like this shouldn’t shy away from what it means to be black in America in 2024, and the socioeconomic complexities within the black community itself. Otherwise, what’s the use of having a platform like this if you can’t be real? 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'm fairly certain that there will be other characters on this show who will be mixing it up and schmoozing with the rich folks. Wouldn't be surprised if they enlisted ANOTHER black family who are not rich, but average working people to act as their counterparts. Think of it as the Forresters vs. the Spectras.

Edited by vanguard