LIFETIME: "Ladies of the 80's: A Diva's Christmas"

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

She definitively must've passed on Loni's part. 

They likely wrote the script once they had secured the talent tbh. These movies aren't exactly hard to write.

I do agree Loni was an after-thought. I assume they must've been turned down by Dame Joan at least.

Edited by te.

• Members

Actually, looking at it, I wonder if Morgan was originally set to play the role Loni's playing (which would go well with her whole "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" type of success with prime time soaps) and they might've wanted another name (Dame Joan probably) for the role Morgan ended up with? 

• Members

Even Susan Sullivan or (God help us) Joan Van Ark might have made sense than Loni, lol.  Don't get me wrong, I love Loni and her refusal to play Jennifer Marlowe as just another "office bimbo," but her inclusion kinda, sorta blows the whole concept behind the casting of this particular movie.  *shrug*

Meanwhile, I'm wishing they had had opportunities to include cameos from other soap divas - Dame Joan, Linda Evans, Susan Lucci, Michele Lee, Ana-Alicia, Dee Hall, you name it - but they probably didn't.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Susan Sullivan would have been wonderful. She recently had surgery for lung cancer (she never smoked). Joan Van Ark might look like a burn victim but she has a sense of humour about herself. I enjoyed her scenes in the Dallas reboot. 

I loved that Morgan pointed out that Loni wasn't like the rest of them. She knows what's up.

Nicollette should loosen up. Knots Landing was a primetime soap - it just happened to be better made than the rest of them and lacked some of the melodramatic production flourishes.  

• Members

Kind of shocked at Morgan in that interview. She can barely move her face. 

You can mostly hear the age in Donna and Linda's voices (or from dental work possibly) but they both look more real to me.

I know it's not fair to go on about plastic surgery so much but in cases like this I was transfixed.

• Members

I would put even the Lechowicks' work on the show up there with "Hill Street Blues," "St. Elsewhere" and other dramas from the '80's that really challenged the audience's expectations of what one could do every week on television.

Last time I saw Michelle Phillips online, she looked very frail.  I don't know if she would have been up for appearing in this movie, or any movie, for that matter.

It doesn't help that she's heavier these days, too.  Her extra pounds make her face look heavier and puffier than it should.