2023 Writers + Actors Strike Thread

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was thinking about the threat that they want to hire writers by the day & by the week & do away with the 13-week work cycle. Imagine if a producer was hired to produce the opening credits, only, another the closing credits, then 6 producers to produce 20 minute each of a 2-hour film, I wonder if then they would see how ridiculous an idea it would be to hire writers like day laborers where you drive up in your pick-up & grab 2-5 people to go write for that day!! 

Don't you think that is a holdover from when they were two separate unions?

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
typos are always with us

• Members

Zack is saying to cancel your Peacock subscription!

https://www.threads.net/t/CupMBPVx5wN

Not an actor/writer/in the industry, but want to help? Cancel your subscriptions to streaming platforms

Please register in order to view this content

it goes a long way and hits them (studios) in the place they only seem to care about: their wallets.

• Members

Yes, I agree with that. However, it seems unreasonable to me that they are separate, different contracts with different terms & the only reason I can think of that might apply would be their once being separate unions & this being a vestigial organ like the appendix! But, it may not be. May just be a mystery. 

• Members

In terms of cancelling subscriptions to streaming, I'm through with the idea that consumers should force corporations to do what is right.  I get that people outside the entertainment industry want to support the creatives.  But, it is not the moral burden of the consumer to ensure that employees are given their fair share of the profits made from the products that they create.  That is the job of the federal government.  I think a smarter response, is to urge fans to vote for representatives who value worker's rights over the growth of big business. 

Remember when we were told that unemployment rates would skyrocket if private companies had to provide medical insurance?  Remember when we were told the same thing about minimum wage increases, safety regulations, and equity and inclusion? They were wrong, and they tried to frighten people not to vote in their best interest. 

The rhetoric around "rich" strikers is the same idea.  They are trying to deceive people that only the leisure class has the privilege of time or money to strike for fair compensation.  Meanwhile, if congress would regulate AI, rather than holding bogus hearings pretending not to know the racist implications of nationalism, we would all be protected.  Don't get fooled that this strike is about people being able to buy a bigger pool.  These are issues that will have an effect on most jobs in the next decade.

Edited by j swift

• Members

There's some humorous irony in the fact that earlier in the week there was so much criticism online about Ms. Drescher's presidency, then one great speech later everyone is like, president for life!  Actors love a good performance.

I think her later answer about being pictured with Kim Kardashian was equally great.  Kim K has become a code word for entitled privilege (for good reason), but it is interesting to see how the media uses her image to discredit those in her presence.  Fran's point was that professional women have to juggle many priorities, and just because her work is glamorous, doesn't invalidate the fact that it is a job.

Edited by j swift

• Members

It seems to me like Fran was actually negotiating in good faith, and yet keeping notes of the stupidity they were being presented.  That’s why she had that initial statement that everyone reacted to with the letter- and that caused her some grief in public from her union because she wasn’t out right slamming the studios then.  Next we have the Brand appearance, also out of context, enduring more public attacks and chagrin.  But that speech was a real rallying cry, and even if faked, timed beautifully.