General Hospital: May 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Denise was so underrated. When I was a kid, I wanted Alan and Rhonda to end up together. I still remember the early years of Port Charles, and how protective Alan was of Karen. She deserved to cross over to the main canvas. It was those deep relationships with Alan, Brenda, Robin, unexplored because of the limitations of the two shows, that we were longing for. 

I don’t even remember if Brenda/ Karen got a chance to address their relationship at a Nurses Ball? I remember them performing in fosse together, but don’t remember any lead up to that. 

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Brenda/Karen talked at the Nurse's Ball the year prior to the Big Spender routine when Brenda was engaged to Sonny.  They had a few scenes talking about their history.  

I think Karen did deserve to be on the main show, but, at the same time, was much more needed for Port Charles to add another GH character to the show.   I honestly don't even know how I would use Karen on GH in 1997.   

• Members

Say it ain’t so! I thought Felicia was pretty universally loved, like Anna and Lucy, sans her ill fated romance with Luke. 

The only “popular” GH character on canvas I don’t “love” is Scotty. He is always hit or miss for me. His “take down Sonny” phase in the mid-2000’s and his “keep Laura away from PC” phase soured him for me. I like him when he has more levity and humour, like his schemes with Lucy. His romance with Obrecht is such a throw away plot point. 

• Members

I had to YouTube this, thanks for the prompt! The scene was short, but we’ll worth it: Brenda and Karen talk about their lives in front of Stone’s AIDS quilt panel…

Karen: Was it hard watching him die?

Brenda: Yes. 

Such a simple exchange, brought to life through two capable actors and the most emotional musical score. You felt the raw emotion. You felt they’re shared pain. Karen for her brother-in-law, Brenda for her friend. 

• Members

That's the exact scene I was thinking of.  It's scenes like this that make the Nurse's Ball more than the musical talent show it is now.   I do think they may have another set of scenes (not at the Nurse's Ball) talking about Jason/Sonny/Jagger, but it's been a long time since I have watched that period.  It's not my favorite.   

I felt like when Karen was brought on for PC they acknowledged her GH past, but did try to distance her from Sonny/Brenda and their shared past.  It was mentioned and dealt with quickly, but probably to minimize the ickiness of the Sonny relationship since Sonny/Brenda were the big couple at the time.

It was short sighted and stupid to kill Karen off.  I am not even a fan, but there are several place she could have been useful throughout the years on GH

• Members

She returns from the dead and then disappears for almost 2 months. What was the point of this again?

I don't hate Felicia but Kristina Wagner's voice drives me absolutely nuts. She can't maintain an inflection or consistent emotion to save her life. She plays the part like a child pretending to be an adult.

Is this lady supposed to be related to Luna Moody? I guess anyway to assure Susan Batten has health insurance. They really need to add some flashbacks to this Sasha story, it was a year ago and I've never seen this allegedly meltdown although they talk about it ad nauseam.

Cameron Mathison has Drew talk to everyone like they're idiots. He's so artificial, I can't stand it.

Dex in every scene:

Please register in order to view this content

"I have to go Joss! I'm sorry! I am nothing and will be nothing without you because I have no personality outside of being good in bed! I miss you Joss!"

Edited by Darn

• Members

I weirdly feel bad for Dex.  Not because he's a good character or anything, but because that was a crappy thing for Michael to do to him.   Michael just decides to change his mind and Dex has to go on the run forever?   I was also confused by Joss saying she thought Michael would be the last person to back out of the plan.  Have you met Michael, Joss?  He backs out of these plans all the time!

• Members

Pretty much.  You could also look at his track record in regard to Sonny and revenge plans.  Michael has talked a big game on and off for years, but has done nothing.  He got over Sonny shooting his father in cold blood.  I think we all knew he would get over Sonny/Nina's romance.

• Members

Michael is just an awful character with absolutely no agency or standards. Total hypocrite. In the Guza era, that scriptwriting team would likely have pointed that out even as the overall story painted him as some type of a conflicted hero.

I think everything Tracy said about Carly in this scene regarding Sonny now applies to Michael himself  - "Given the hell you have unleashed in loyalty to Sonny Corinthos, you have no right to criticize!" 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

It was mentioned on GH more than once and I remember the same Sonny/Scott scene.  That's not saying it couldn't be undone, but it would require some explanation.

It's very annoying that Michael is coming off as doing the right thing.  He's playing with people's lives and Dex did the job he was hired to do.  Sonny is still committing crimes, but Michael decided he was done with the plan so it doesn't matter anymore.  I really can't stand Michael.