GENERAL HOSPITAL February 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

it's in the record books. Doug & Julie had TIME magazine & 16 mil watching their wedding & then L&L had mass media galore & 30 mil watching the wedding. And, like "Susan Lucci" "Luke & Laura" are household names. If this were an anniversary of DALLAS it would feature WHO SHOT JR? But, you bet the mag wanted purchases. It's business, not art. I think it's really unfortunate considering the stand Genie made just last month at TCA but it can't be helped. The juxtaposition of this with that is surreal. 

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

A 2023 lens on the show isn’t the same as the 1980s or the 1970s. Things were different. We can hate it for what it was today but back then it was molded into a love story. Clearly, Genie hated it but ultimately it did save the show and made her a household name. The behind the scenes stuff we won’t really know fully until she chooses to fully talk about it, likely in a book as she’s recently said, but she hasn’t even begun getting started on that. Plus, there’s several sides to behind the scenes stories. We’ll never know Gloria Monty’s side.

• Members

GH was already back in the Top 5 when Luke came along.

Will People pay any attention to the stories/characters of 1971 when GH first went to #1 ?

Probably not and no surprises there. When People came along in the 70's it was the first mag that specialized in the superficial coverage now common.

It's interesting to read magazines from the 60's and see how long and detailed the stories were.

EDIT Just saw the Top 10 moments. OK so nothing memorable enough happened before 1980 to make Top 10.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

People love L&L and that's fine. People hate L&L and that's fine. I still love L&L while being very conscious of their very ugly side and that's fine. But they will always be the signature couple of GH, both in their romance and in their ugliness. That's just the way it is.

I think Genie hates the rape storyline, which I can understand. I think most people hate that it exists or hate how it was handled in the era. I don't believe her comments have ever translated to 'I hate Luke and Laura'. She was the one clearly trying to bring TG on sides before he left. Her final video message to him as all the cast did their farewells was very candid about hoping he could 'find his way' to appreciating their story together again after what was clearly years of bitterness and frustration about his legacy as an actor being Luke and Laura and this show.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It’s another example of what a soap fan with a true understanding of the history of the show would do vs something very mainstream like PEOPLE magazine. 

There is no denying that L&L were going to be prominently featured.  But my ideal cover would also have Jessie and Steve from a vintage photo. I am happy it’s not just a montage of Luke & Laura surrounded by Richard Dean Anderson, Richard Simmons, Demi Moore, Jack Wagner, Ricky Martin, etc.  hopefully the magazine doesn’t also focus too much on those folks either.

We do know that Monty never did it again though.  So she clearly understood the issues.