Characters that should've been recast

• Members

Instances where an actor could be holding back a character's potential.  

GL

Rick Bauer.  There was more potential for the character but he was slways regulated to sidekick or a familiar face.  So many times I think another actor could knock it out of the park.  Examples being the back history with Annie, the marriage to Abby and the heart transplant plot.  As a legacy character of the once core family he should've been way more front burner.

Also Harley.  When Ehlers left they certainly should've recast, SORAS at least one of her sons and appropriately recast Daisy.  Whether you liked Harley or not, she was a big tent pole of the show.  If written out, Harley needed to be gradually phased out and not dismissed with throwaway lines about being in Greece.

Edited by Spoon

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

True.  I kinda like Alex but there's so many actors who would've loved a crack at the character.

I would add Y&R's Phillip III.  I think that Thom (?) had the similar limitations that Michael O'Leary has as GL's Rick.

Edited by Spoon

• Members

According to Cady McClain herself, she stated: "I have heard a lot of rumors, too, [by the way], but I am sorry to tell you that I have absolutely nothing to tell you! It is lovely to be considered for any part, of course. I know it is odd when actors switch shows, but from my own experience, it can be a good stretch for the actor to play a new part, and ultimately good for the show."

Beth Ehlers even brought up McClain's name with having a talk with Guiding Light producers in terms of a recast for the role.

• Members

While I like MOL in his younger days I have to say that I think most of his affection for his later work was out of sentimentality. I re watch some of his time and he just seems to always hit the wrong note...kind of being condescending and a bit self righteous (he has a scene with MarjAlex where he is rude and one with Jessie where he just comes off as an ass) and some where he tries to break out of the goofball mode but he comes off as too...too..(there is a scene with he and Abby after the stupid twin reveal and he is almost brow beating her and comes off stalkerish...) or he just totally leans into the goofballl mode and thinks he is more funny then he actually is. Maybe it was the writing (one scene was McTavish) or the production and directiong (one scene was early Rauchie and he always wanted over the top emotions and that is not what Rick was...)

I think Harley was played out by the time that Ehlers left and she needed a break...maybe for a year or two and then come back as a recast...)