ATWT 50th Anniversary Pix

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am looking forward to the episodes but still wish they had done a 3rd episode that would have been more traditional and serious. Something around Nancy's history she was working on a few months back.

I like humor but ATWT is a traditional show more than most of the other shows on daytime, and I don't like their whole 50th being more comical than traditional.

A balance would have been good and would have been nice to see some guests.

• Members

The episodes are good, but I do agree with you guys. I wanted something more. But let's face it, Goutman sees a traditional family celebration as putting the show out to pasture, and he wants it to see hip and cool. I think the family element and history should be stressed more which makes ATWT unique but he doesn't agree. Oh well. We'll enjoy these, and you'll all enjoy the divas adventure and the flashbacks as well.

• Members

But how are reenacting shows from the 60s and 70s hip and cool though? Let's face it most of the viewers in that prized 18 to 48 female demographic didn't grow up with tv shows like "I love Lucy" or "The Beverly Hillbillies." He would have done better with "American Idol" and"Buffy the Vampire Slayer." It shows how far off he is from his targeted audience.

• Members

I love Goutman and think overall he has been good for ATWT, but I disagree with him on this. If the show were hip and cool all year long and all the time okay, but it is not. The show is still pretty traditional and is different from other soaps in that sense. Occassionally we get some out there stuff, but for the most part ATWT still sticks to the traditional stuff. I just don't see this big hip and cool thing as the only reason. But of course he did the same thing when he was at Another World - even for their final episode. I think he just has a problem with being sentimental.

• Members

I have thought for a very long time that this whole TV Land episode is outlandish!!!

They should have really focused on the family aspect of the family tradition. Having the seven divas is a good idea, on a bus I think not however.

And I beg the question, WHERE IS BOB DURING THE 50th celebration???

• Members

what are you people complaining about??

We are getting 7 of the show's long running vets, front running the anniversary show while they look back and remember past events in oakdale. That's a fantastic clip show!

Certainly more than any other show is doing.

AMC did a cameo with Agnes Nixon and a lame music video at the end

Days didn't even stop to mention they turned 40

B&B never does anything

Y&R never does anything, cept for the last one when they played the Y&R theme over a guest appearance of Jill's forgotten family members.

GH used it as an excuse to update their opening credits with Natalia Livingston

OLTL did a dream episode centered around newbies

:blink:

• Members

Goutman is out of touch with what soap fans want I believe. His vision is to attract new and younger viewers, but he doesn't believe that be true to ATWT's roots will do that, which to me means he doesn't believe in the show.

Parodying old sitcoms will be fun to watch and had to be a blast for the actors. But why not honor the history of the show. In their defense, the episode is a fun attempt to explain the complicated family relationships that a lot of new fans don't understand.

The 7 Divas show is much more than a clip show. These women have an adventure and their OWN story, even for a day, of their own. They are not supporting anyone, they are LEADING. It's all about them. When Nancy is honored for 50 years of community service you'll tear up thinking about her 50 years of service on ATWT. At the ceremony, the women all speak about her and it's a nice tribute to Nancy/Helen.

The whole bus trip and what happens isn't very original, but it's nice that it's all about them for once and not about Katie, Carly, Paul, Emily, etc. There is no pleasing everyone. If they had taken a week and brought back Penny, Don, Ellen, etc. like I wanted, new fans would probably scream they are not getting their Paul, Meg, Emily, etc story.

• Members

The 7 divas epp is an amazing concept. It is a great way to incorporate flashbacks and feature the vets (very reminiscent of the snow storm that stranded the 5 original cast members together on AMC on the 20th Anni). I think Goutman and Passanante were right on here. Then, the second epp is for the newer fans so all the canvas can participate in the celebration.

I think OLTL and AMC did a fine job on their 35th Anni's. AMC's was the conclusion to the age long baby switch, the letter from Mona was too amazing! It was the most memorable scene of the show! They didn't just bring Agnes on (finally), the creator of the show and the fuel for the genre, but Larry Keith, Dick Shoburg and Mark LaMura! Not to mention the final cameo by Ruth Warrick! That was an amazing feet on its own obvious by her frail condition! I know people complained about the lack of flashbacks, but it takes more effort IMO to get these 4 back into a studio then clipping things together.

OLTL was a great way to bring in clips. I learned a lot about the show. It may have revolved around Nat and Chris' wedding anxiety, but they barely had any lines, Everyone on the cast seemed to be featured. So many aspects of the show were explored.

I agree GH's was a bit lacking with Carly almost dying and such. The two episode thingy was a good idea. For the most part it was a pretty good episode but nothing I would waste a tape saving.

I love how Y&R's sounds. The Fosters coming back must have been such a treat.

IA though, DAYS and B&B have been truly lacking.

• Members

I thought portions of the sit-com based tribute show were funny. I'm looking forward to the show with the divas. However, like others, I would like to have a third episode that is a more traditional retrospective of 50 years. I agree it would have been more fitting for the traditional flavor of the show.

Archived