Article: “The Dirty Dozen; Y&R’s Most Regrettable Recasting Decisions“

• Members

I wasn’t quite sure where to put this so I’m creating a new topic. Randomly @DRW50 this list has poor Melinda Fee on here of all people. 

Let me know if anyone wants to read the full write-ups. Note that even though Tognoni made it as #1 the author was much kinder towards her than some of the others on the list. 

12. Shari Shattuck as Ashley

11. Heidi Mark as Sharon

10. Scott Seymour as Billy 

9. Lachlan Buchanan as Kyle

8. Robert Newman as Ashland

7. Melinda Fee as Jill

6. Darius McCrary as Malcolm

5. Reprised David Tom as Billy in 2014

4. Burgess Jenkins as Billy

3. Amelia Heinle as Victoria 

2. Melissa Ordway as Abby

1. Gina Tognoni as Phyllis 

Edited by soapfan770

• soapfan770 changed the title to Article: “The Dirty Dozen; Y&R’s Most Regrettable Recasting Decisions“
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sure thing, here’s was the author had to say about both actually:

“When Richard Burgi was fired for “naively and inadvertently” breaking health protocols, Y&R jumped at the chance to recast the role with Guiding Light alum Robert Newman. However, they should’ve looked before they leaped! Although Newman’s energy was refreshing in the beginning, bringing out the more human side of the Locke-Ness Monster, he lacked the quiet menace that Burgi brought to the role. Ashland’s character was gradually written into a corner, with the once successful businessman now a scorned, penniless lover. And while Newman played that desperation well, it’s because as revealed in a recent interview with Soap Opera Digest that he was eager to get off the show himself!”

For Fee:

“The role of Jill Abbott has been played by many actresses over the years, and most fans can agree that the original Jill (Brenda Dickson) and current Jill (Jess Walton) have led the pack when it comes to this character. One “Jill” recast that didn’t quite shine was Melinda Fee, who jumped into the part for a little while in 1984. Fee was a good actress, but she simply lacked the fire and glamour that is necessary for the role of Jill during her short guest stint.”

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Including Melinda Fee on that list is odd. She was a temp replacement and nothing more.

Might as well include Giselle McKenzie as Katherine and Robin Eisenman as Nikki.These people are brought in as placeholders only.

I would place Amelia at #1. She changed the character of Victoria completely and has never been able to achieve what Heather Tom brought to the role or really refashion Victoria into something else.

I'd add Jason Thompson as there is nothing of the loveable screw up in his portrayal. He would have been better as an Adam recast.

Gina made Phyllis more tolerable for me.

I'd include Kelly Kruger as Mac and Ryan Brown as Billy. Mac could still be part of the show had they gone with a better recast.

Maybe Victoria Mallory as Leslie.