DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What makes the situation unique and interesting is the 6 months stockpile of episodes they have. They were made for broadcast TV. They are not changing them. What's the point of putting them on Peacock other than a money grab? I'm surprised there isn't more of a protest demanding NBC keep DAYS on TV, and air these shows made for TV on TV.

When they make new episodes now, are they making them as if they were still on broadcast TV? Would they be contractually obligated to do so? Or maybe they hope to return to TV in the winter or summer if this doesn't work out? Or would they be making shows under less stringent Peacock standards? If so, that would be a big change, no doubt requiring some extra money! Would their current contract cover the retooling? What happens if they start making episodes for Peacock and it goes belly up? It will be interesting to see what happens and how this all plays out!

Corday sued Sony once. Think he'll sue NBC for their handling of this if none of this works out? 

Edited by Jdee43

• Members

I get the humor, but it is totally fallacious

The average cost of cable tv is $217 per month (https://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/saving-and-budgeting/articles/how-much-is-cable-per-month)

Hulu is $7, Netflix is $10, Peacock is $6 (1.99 during the promo), Appletv is $5 (free year with every new Apple device, which most consumers buy every two years any way), Paramount+ is $5 and Disney is $8, so simple math would tell us that the sum is $41, (plus $50 for avg internet) would be $91, or still less than half of the average cable bill.

Also the average household only has three service subscriptions https://www.cloudwards.net/streaming-services-statistics/

Edited by j swift

• Members

I had no idea!  I haven't had broadcast TV, cable, or satellite service in ages.
Maybe 20 or 30 years ago when I last had cable, it was was like $30.00/month or something. (maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I don't think I'm off by a huge amount).

I was used to watching shows on cbs.com and nbc.com for free (if watched within 5 days of airing).  And for free on abc.com but you have to wait a week or two or three before it appears for free, and then catch it before it is locked.
I never paid anything at all to watch TV.  I wasn't interested in movie channels so I didn't need that.

I had no idea people paid that much for cable nowadays!   

I finally paid for ParamountPlus to watch all the old AND new StarTrek series which is a priority for me.   Essential for hopefulness during covid lockdowns when I couldn't leave the house to do anything.

I subscribed to Peacock to watch the Olympics but found it unwieldy and found it much easier to watch specific matches/games on youtube for free a few days later -- I kept the Peacock to watch BeyondSalem and didn't get around to unsubscribing.   But I really cannot afford both.  I can barely afford my rent and food.

Edited by janea4old