Y&R May 2022 Discussion Thread

• Members

A merger story can be interesting every once in awhile, but two mergers at once is over kill. It makes them both mean nothing.

Two seconds after Jill gives Lily the position of a lifetime she announce a merger? There what could have been months of drama of Lily getting into this job. Bring Jill back to mentor her for awhile. Make this look believable.  Instead, they skip right over Lily to get to Devon in charge really. What's the huge rush?

The problem is when she is involved it's not about her life. I find it crazy she has to keep Devon threatening to sue her for that baby, when her husband was sick, a secret from everyone in her family. If my spouse was sick the first place I would go for support is my family. She can't even tell them what she went through now. Her life is really isolated from them now.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nice Friday cliffhanger. I love Ashley is back for this.

I was expecting for Sharon’s memorial service for Rey to occur today. I wonder if they’ll even show it at all and just tell us what a nice service it was. Lord.

I FF’d all the Billy and Lily scenes lol. From what I read, I didn’t miss anything.

• Members

They are at the forefront in the ever changing media landscape. 

Headed by Billy Abbott's compelling personal podcast which is creating conversations around entitled rich boy screwups.

Then there is something to do with fashion and selective in depth reportage on goings on in a small mid western town that somehow other parts of the country (and the world?) are enthralled by.

All run from apartments ,restaurants and one office with no staff.

• Members

Amelia Heinle is clearly a more accomplished actress than Melissa Ordway, but there’s something similar in their “acting” styles. I just don’t feel a lot of conviction from AH, as if she constantly doesn’t believe the words coming out of her mouth. Maybe that’s a feature, not a bug—as they want to portray Victoria as conflicted, vulnerable to the men in her life, and faking it to make it. I don’t enjoy this characterization.

They are playing Kyle as really “young.” He’s not a boy who needs his family to make choices for him.

The Abbott scenes with Diane were good (Diane dredging up each family member’s past), but as directed, they played as theatrical in a very stiff and flat way.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

5-2

Such a build to the Mom and Son reunion.  

I see what everyone meant last week. While SW is playing Diane as a haunted woman and is sucking me in for the most part, MM's Kyle has been really off. I felt like he had it when Jack finally tells Kyle Diane is alive, but he was just playing this reunion scene so odd.

oh, they looped back around to Chance. Meh.

I did like the cliffhanger of Victor waiting for Diane. 

• Members

Enjoyed the Abbott vs Diane scenes today especially when she was allowed to call them out. 

I really have blanked out Maura’s run as Diane because I legit don’t remember her being evil. I remember Victor throwing a woman out of an ambulance. I remember her being the town punching bag for breathing. I think she had sex with both Victor and Nick. But I’m blanking on all the evil things she did. I honestly didn’t even know why everyone hated her in the first place, but I don’t know a ton of Diane’s history with Alex Donnelly and Susan playing her. I think Victor and Jack both used to play with her emotions. 

• Members

I think the Abbott scenes were very good as well. Davidson, Maitland, and even Ordway did good but at the same time the writing is pretty predictable as how each character would react.

It’s interesting because Walters’ haunted performance as Diane is the real driving force and is actually forcing the cast to actually step up for a change. In Mealor’s case, his lack of acting talent is very glaring. 

OMG!! Remember when Emily came back as Tucker’s therapist randomly when Patty was plotting to kill Genie Francis?

• Members

LOL I understand MAB/Sheffer/Hamner & Co. was awful how they deconstructed Patty and Sharon. Then Pratt made it even worse with making Sharon and Patty roommates at the asylum while their own doctor had a grudge against Nick.  ‍

No wonder Y&R became so lifeless.

• Members

Those years really gutted what was left of Y&R. At least what LML hadn’t already destroyed. It’s hard to even really take stock of all the convoluted stories and age-old soap clichés that were burned through in the late 2000s and early-to-mid 2010s. Felt a bit scorched earth. Hard to take Y&R seriously after all of that. Sharon, Nick, Victoria, Victor, Jack, you name ‘em—worn out. 

By the way, Alan Sarapa tweetstormed what he thought a Ron Carlivati-written Y&R would feel like. Pretty much a lot like that era with lower production values and more camp.