Most Iconic Characters from The Short Lived Soaps

• Members

Opinions, all:

Flamingo Road - Morgan Fairchld as Constance Weldon Semple Carlyle

The City - Morgan Fairchild as Sydney Chase, Female, Yr 1 (She just stayed the one year.)

The City - Jane Elliot as Tracy Quartermaine (married to Soleito but didn't take his name), Female, Yr 2

The City - Roscoe Born (RIP) as Nick Rivers, Male, whole show

PC - I cannot do it. Too many people. Too good. Leads changed because of the new method they tried.

GEN - Kelly Rutherford as Samantha Whitmore

What shows am I not thinking of? I've had great tenure with our short-lived beauties. I didn't see enough of either RH or LOV. I rarely saw Primetime. Is Paper Dolls one in this category? If so, I name Morgan Fairchld a third time!

SB - Robin Wright as Kelly Capwell

Pacific Palisades - Michelle Stafford as Joanna Hadley

Edited by Tonksadora
Left out one show.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Oh, I know! I remember Santa Barbara was always winning SOD awards like hell too. Then, I saw their ratings after picking up my first Soap Opera Digest and I was like .... 

Please register in order to view this content

I only remember my two favorite vixens on Sunset Beach: Annie Douglas and Virginia Harrison played by Sarah Buxton and Dominique Jennings. OMG Virginia was terrible.

• Members

Well, SB did win 3 Daytime Emmys for Best Show for 3 consecutive years. They had problems with clearance. Many NBC affiliates refused to carry the show & that is killer on statistics. SuBe had similar problems with clearances & both The City & PC did as well. Plus, at SB the Dobsons & the network ended up suing & counter-suing each other after the network wrested control away from the Dobsons & locked them out of their own studio. That kind of chaos & upheaval is never beneficial to the show doing well, consistently. Ratings, schmatings, it was a great soap. The Dobsons were brilliant at GH, ATWT, GL & SB. They were supposed to go HW for AW in 1993 but NBC blocked it.

• Members

On PC i enjoyed Elizabeth Barrington

No Paper Dolls wasn't Mentioned Yet, But I Agree with you i've seen a little of The City and Enjoyed Sydney, i didn't watch Flamingo Road but read that Constance scored high among the All Time Bitches #37 i believe, I guess Morgan is Iconic in All she does i guess i didn't mention that yet because I thought it would sound like favoritism, Racine was Amazing as played by Her too, much better developed that in the Pilot movie, It was all on Youtube a little while ago but unfortunately the channel was brought down, If You Saw The Monroes (1995) you can nominate someone too

• Members

That's an interesting read and so juicy! I am reading about the drama with the Dobsons and Charles Pratt Jr. on Wikipedia although it does make me feel kind of weird reading stuff on the website as it was always frowned upon by my professors. 

Please register in order to view this content

But thankfully, I no longer have to write papers and credit the source. Interesting about the NBC affiliates and their refusals to carry SB. For me, I was a kid and drama like this I would have loved to have known about. I would switch over and watch SB when GL was pre-empted as I knew about Cruz and Eden's popularity. Isn't SB the show where Paul Rauch smashed a cigar on the floor with his shoe for the last finale? All in all, what terrible mistreatment.

• Members

1986 Daytime Emmy SB Won Their First, Their First Year

Yes, and he was standing in a spotlight, I think too.Can we say arrogant? Yes, I thought we could!

But, there's not anything terribly wrong with Wikipedia. Like most any place sometimes they can get something wrong & it hasn't been corrected yet. By & large though they get things right.

Plus, Brian Frons, you recall that #SoapKiller? He cast himself as GOD, I kid you not, literally the arbiter of good & evil, in a scene with Mason Capwell.

There's also a famous story, at the Emmys where the Dobsons were there & Jill Farren Phelps as Interim EP that NBC had appointed, and when SB won, there was a fight between Bridget & Jill. Okay, that is an urban myth! They were all present & Bridget got to the podium first & so accepted the Emmy & made a lovely acceptance speech. Jill looked like she was grinding her teeth on broken glass or something. But, a fight is someone's overactive imagination. I've put the URL up above here so you can see.

Oh! One more true story: Robin Wright was chosen out of 100s of young beauties to play Buttercup in The Princess Bride & she was highly motivated to make the deal so she could be off long enough to do a feature film shooting in England. They did something, somehow which prevented her from making as much money from the movie as she could have & worse that that they made her pay the show back double in time.

Edited by Tonksadora
Add URL. Relate The Princess Bride info.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

On A World Apart, the Sims family were an iconic family.  I enjoyed the African-American family.   I never really figured out how most of the other characters fit into the story.   Susan Sarandon's character was not the typical heroine, in my opinion.

On Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, the Donnelly family was an iconic couple.   Jean Garrison (Jane Manning) was an iconic villainess (in my opinion, the best ever from daytime television).  Spencer Garrison (Ed Power) was an iconic leading man.  (I think that he was more iconic than David Birney, but Mr. Birney got most of the publicity.)

On Where the Heart Is, Allison Hathaway (Louise Shaffer) was an iconic character (another villianess), while her sister Kate (Diana van der Vlis) was an iconic heroine.  Mary Hathway (niece-in-law to both Allison and Kate) was an iconic ingenue.  (Diana Walker played that role.)   And, I think that Michael Hathaway (played by Gregory Ables) was an iconic leading man.

• Members

Paper Dolls:

Racine - Morgan Fairchild.  Her character was the bridge between the wealthy Harpers and the models.

Berrengers:

This was difficult because there were too many characters, but the unexpected scene stealer was Gloria Berrenger (played by Andrea Marcovicci. 

Capitol:

Myrna Clegg

Sloane Denning