Franko

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Who know how Jean Stapleton would have fared, but I can't see her giving Jessica much sophistication, and I think the Edith Bunker was still very much fresh in American audiences minds at that time, so she would have found it much more difficult to break through in something totally different.

Angela had the luxury of her Hollywood film career being largely behind her at that point, and of course, most of America didn't see the massive success and multi Tony award winning roles she had on Broadway. She could create something believable from scratch with little baggage. 

• Members

Really?  Wow.  I had NO idea.  I just figured it was a demographics thing, lol.

I do know that MSW supposedly paid its' guest stars well, which is why so many were eager to do it, despite it being "uncool" by Hollywood standards.  Megan Mullally, for example, has talked about how appearing on MSW saved her from giving up the business altogether.

Agree.  Not that Jean Stapleton is a terrible actress -- because she isn't -- but I think her Jessica would have been more comedically bent.  As it is, I always have a tough time believing Angela's Jessica in any story that involves espionage.  It just seems to be too outside the wheelhouse of a retired New England school teacher turned mystery novelist and amateur sleuth.  But, if Jean's Jessica had been involved in such antics?  Jessica would've looked even sillier.

Edited by Khan

• Members

That's what I loved about the girls at Loretta's beauty parlor.  I mean, where else on TV were you going to see Gloria DeHaven* or Kathryn Grayson?  Especially during the pre-AMC/TCM '80's, when the old MGM musicals had been relegated to "The Late, Late Movie" on most local TV stations?

There was so much about the Cabot Cove shows that I loved.  I hated seeing those aspects phased out, even though I understood why.

(*Yes, I know Gloria DeHaven was on RYAN'S HOPE.  You know what I'm talking about, lol.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

Madlyn Rhue was dealing with MS that confined her to a wheelchair.From Wikipedia

She also performed a recurring role in Murder, She Wrote, said to be her last television role.[8][10] Angela Lansbury created a role for her when she heard that Rhue was at risk of losing her insurance because she could no longer work enough hours.[11]

The role would have been written differently to suit Jean.

I'm sure her 'Jessica' would be more quirky and comedic and no Cabot Cove.

More likely a suburban widow.

What does Jean say about the role in her interview?

• Members

Who da hell thought drawing Miss Angela like a Monchichi doll was a good idea!?

No, I think there would have been a Cabot Cove, regardless of who played J.B. Fletcher.  But I also think Jean Stapleton's J.B. would have become very annoying to watch after awhile.  Like, people would have been BEGGING someone to kill her instead.

• Members

One of the things that I think was key to Jessica, both in how she was played and presented, and often in spite of her actions, is that she never came across as a busybody. Characters wanted her to hang around and help, and if they didn't, that usually meant something was wrong with them. It's easier said than done to create a character who doesn't come across as making fun of the concept or cloying*.

*Not to derail the thread, but a friend and I have been discussing ostensibly lovable characters on shows like The OfficeBrooklyn Nine Nine and Parks and Recreation.

Edited by Franko

• Members

Jessica was also someone who was open-minded and non-judgmental.  If you were into what they called at the time an "alternative lifestyle," or if your personal life contained elements that bordered on being salacious and scandalous, Jessica believed that was your business and nobody else's.  Her only objective was to see that justice was done.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Re: The Emmy debate

I think it has to do with why Jessica was such as great performance. It is acting work by small touches, infuse someone with a personality, build a character over episodes. There were no showcases, no big emotional scenes and that's what the Emmys reward, especially since they have that system where you submit only one or two episodes. 
That skews the process towards performances that are successful at conveying emotions rather than performances that are successful at creating a compelling character with layers, despite the latter being sometimes a lot harder.
I say this because I think that's  also the number one problem with the Daytime Emmys, in a genre that is build as much on the latter as the former. And I think that was the case with Lansbury here. 

• Members

Another thing I loved about MSW is how characters would occasionally accuse Eve Simpson (a.k.a. the randy real estate agent, played by Julie Adams (ex-Paula, CAPITOL)) of being the culprit.  As if being the most promiscuous senior citizen this side of Blanche Devereaux automatically means you're prone to kill, lol.

Excellent point(s)!