Murder, She Wrote

Franko

• Members

Yeah, I recall that as well.  In fact, I think, next to (ahem) Bill Cosby's, her Q ratings were the highest in TV.  (But, I could be wrong about that.)

Unfortunately, they never found the right showcase for her to win that elusive Emmy.  They tried -- hence, cousin Emma -- but J.B. Fletcher wasn't as flashy a role as Christine Cagney ("Cagney & Lacey") or Jill Brock ("Picket Fences").

Same.

I'm convinced her success on MSW was at least partially responsible for her landing the gig as Mrs. Potts in the original "Beauty and the Beast," a movie and performance that exposed her to an entirely new generation of fans.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

There are episode of MSW where Jessica encounters mysteries concerning her late husband, Frank, which gave Lansbury her best shots at the Emmy. The Last Flight of the Dixie Damsel (Robin Strasser guest stars) and Thursday's Child (Lansbury's old Hollywood friend Vera Miles plays a woman who claims Frank Fletcher is the father of her child).

I also don't think Emmy voters watched the show. Lansbury said it herself that Hollywood didn't watch the show. She has been nominated so many times, for various things, and never won. There has to be some Hollywood politics at play. Perhaps some were jealous of her success.

• Members

No misunderstanding there I totally agree. Just because Angela wanted some retirement funds didn't preclude her from wanting to put out a quality product. In fact , that dedication from all involved ensured MSW resonated with audiences.

That prejudice against certain programmes was around for years.

Look at Peyton Place. Lee Grant was awarded because she did a guest stint whereas the regulars, who turned in some amazing performances, were shut out. This was at a time when there were virtually no women on primetime TV drama.Barbara Bain won for Mission Impossible. She was great but Dorothy, Barbara etc were also deserving.

Same with the nightime soaps in the 80's.The women got some meaty roles but were never acknowledged due to the snobbery around that genre.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I remember "The Last Flight of the Dixie Damsel" chiefly for two reasons: one, it guest-starred Strasser, back when she still knew how to be subtle in her acting choices; and two, it served as a prequel of sorts to "Prediction: Murder," which had a mystery so obvious that I wonder why it took Jessica an entire hour to figure it out.

• Members

Maybe.  However, even during its' final seasons, MSW remained a cash cow for CBS on Sunday nights.  I can't see CBS or Universal slashing its' budget so much that they could no longer afford "name" guest stars, if it meant potentially crippling the show.

If anything, I think less older stars were featured, because of a concerted effort from all parties -- CBS, Universal, even Angela herself -- to make the show more appealing to younger audiences.  That's why you saw Jessica begin spending more and more time with people who were young enough to be her children.  They skewed younger and they made Jessica appear younger as well.

• Members

Well, it's true that once Angela Lansbury took over production, Jessica became a more seasoned world traveler.  However, I think Fischer did a much better job convincing viewers that the show wasn't so studio-bound.  You watch those shows from the later years, when Jessica is supposed to be in Egypt or whatever, and there's just no way in hell you believe it, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

That makes sense.

I just read up on the show  and yes, cheaper guest stars were used to combat costs, so it addressed both issues.

When Angela's Corymore took over production of the show, they were set for life. Several family members worked on the show and her son and stepson secured deals with CBS.