Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Soap opera Royalty


Joseph

Recommended Posts

  • Members

Soaps are always trying to get some glamour out of Fictional Nobility before you know you'll be seeing Queens, Kings, Princes, Princesses, Ducks and Duchesses and Counts and Countesses so this one is for them

I can think of a few like mr boring etiquette Prince Michael of Moldavia, little rascal King Of Tanquir who young as he was Managed to hold Cecile DePoulignac his prisoner and Let's not forget the royal killer of the English Language Princess Gillian Andrassy or evil Thief Princess Gina Von Amberg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Don't forget Princes Richard and Edmund of Guiding Light.  Or, try to forget them and preserve the good memories of GL. (lol)

The daytime budget rarely allows for accurate context for royal stories.  There's never enough staff, the palaces are usually just one room, and the jewels never look real.  For example, think of the E! show The Royals, it was fun, but it looked like they lived in a mcmansion compared to Downton Abby.

Edited by j swift
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
9 hours ago, j swift said:

Don't forget Princes Richard and Edmund of Guiding Light.  Or, try to forget them and preserve the good memories of GL. (lol)

The daytime budget rarely allows for accurate context for royal stories.  There's never enough staff, the palaces are usually just one room, and the jewels never look real.  For example, think of the E! show The Royals, it was fun, but it looked like they lived in a mcmansion compared to Downton Abby.

That's true Soaps usually don't have the budget for accuracy they want the glamour of it all but rarely have the money to show it, i remembered another that Arabian Prince whom Taylor Married in B&B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
12 minutes ago, kalbir said:

Taylor the Desert Princess was not one of B&B's best stories. It was cheesy and offensive.

Y&R cashed in on the Charles/Diana wedding hype with the London concert and ball in July 1981.

I know it was weird but Taylor looked Stunning in those Arabian clothes

That I didn't know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
40 minutes ago, kalbir said:

Taylor the Desert Princess was not one of B&B's best stories. It was cheesy and offensive.

That's probably true, especially in hindsight (heck, it was cheesy back then!), but I have a fondness for this story. Yes, the prince of Morocco lived in some Arabian Nights alternate universe and in that sense it was offensive with regards to the realities of the Mahgreb/Middle Eastern world.

However, one thing I appreciated about it was the sympathetic light it cast upon Prince Omar (played by Indian actor Kabir Bedi) and his kind, loyal adviser Mustafa. While Taylor was boohoo-ing over Ridge, and a newly-married Ridge & Brooke were shagging around 'Morocco' (approximately 0.2 seconds after Taylor went missing -- the Ridge penis can never be left unattended, ever!), Omar and Mustafa were actually the stand-up guys in this whole mess. Omar was in love with Taylor, but it was unrequited. 

If I recall correctly, Hunter Tylo had taken time off in 1994 to do a mini-series called The Maharaja's Daughter with Bruce Boxleitner (now there's an 80s blast from the past) and Kabir Bedi. B&B wanted to capitalize on that mini-series so the show brought Bedi in for this SL arc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, Cat said:

 

If I recall correctly, Hunter Tylo had taken time off in 1994 to do a mini-series called The Maharaja's Daughter with Bruce Boxleitner (now there's an 80s blast from the past) and Kabir Bedi. B&B wanted to capitalize on that mini-series so the show brought Bedi in for this SL arc.

Yes that's right I found it on YouTube recently then I made the connection. 

By the way Prince Omar was so nice to Taylor it was so weird she preferred Ridge who usually was so pompous and Arrogant, I mean you got a Prince who's madly in love with you and you change him for your sex-crazed ex?

Edited by Joseph
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Wasn't Johnny Perkins on Santa Barbara the heir to a kingdom?   His mom Amy was impregnated against her knowledge somehow at the dentist office or something?  lol.  It hope I have it mixed up because that is kinda bonkers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

James Stenbeck was a Swedish Prince..which was stupid and never mentioned after the first year. On GL I can't believe even the fans of Richard and Cassie didn't think that storyline was stupid, GL couldn't afford to show the Spaulding Living room anymore (it became Carmen's den of cartoon evil) so they couldn't afford a royal set..which was just one throne room. Also on ATWT wasn't Bonnie a Scottish Princess or something? I just remember some dumb hunk chained to a wall (I think he was supposed to be Cricket's kid) and..I couldnt watch anymore. MADD had a royalty fetish?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 hours ago, Efulton said:

Wasn't Johnny Perkins on Santa Barbara the heir to a kingdom?   His mom Amy was impregnated against her knowledge somehow at the dentist office or something?  lol.  It hope I have it mixed up because that is kinda bonkers.

Nope- that was the story. The king's son's wife was supposed to get it, but the deliverer went to the wrong room.

Also, Sophia Capwell was the Contessa Armonti.

And I think that Bo and Hope from DOOL saved the Queen of England from an assassination attempt and that's how they had their OTT wedding with her 30,000 dollar dress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

"Dark Shadows" had a countess too -- Josette's aunt, Countess Natalie du Pres.  But that actually sorta made sense, as she appeared in 1795, and she was from Martinique.   Nonetheless, she was just Grayson Hall in a big hat with a deck of tarot cards. 

I never could quite grasp where her title came from.  Her brother, Andre du Pres, didn't seem to have a title, which indicated she'd married a count, perhaps, at some point.  But she used her maiden last name on the show.      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
10 hours ago, Broderick said:

"Dark Shadows" had a countess too -- Josette's aunt, Countess Natalie du Pres.  But that actually sorta made sense, as she appeared in 1795, and she was from Martinique.   Nonetheless, she was just Grayson Hall in a big hat with a deck of tarot cards. 

I never could quite grasp where her title came from.  Her brother, Andre du Pres, didn't seem to have a title, which indicated she'd married a count, perhaps, at some point.  But she used her maiden last name on the show.      

Yeah it was one big hole in the plot but I understood she was married to a count and during the revolution she lost both him and her title? But she insisted in still being called countess

By the way the Mendorra storyline was any good?????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 minutes ago, Joseph said:

By the way the Mendorra storyline was any good?????

Well there's ambassadorship to Mendorra which was an interesting story for Charles Sanders and a novel exit for Dorian.

Then, there are the jewels of Mendorra which were always brought up during fallow times in OLTL history.  Such as when Tina tries to steal them from Elizabeth Sanders, after her failed schemes to steal the gold from Eterna, Victor's art, and Cord's million dollar inheritance.  And then, of course, there's whole Lee Ramsey trying to steal the jewels which lead to Marty's return and her offensive reunion story with Todd.

And finally, it depends on your like/dislike for doppelganger stories because Bo had to disguise himself as Prince Raymond of Mendorra to free Megan from marrying the prince which lead to a ski chase in wedding clothes.  Of course, this was only two years after Patrick London impersonated Bo and tried to romance Tina.  So, one had to believe that multiple people around the world resembled Bo Buchanan at one time or another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy