• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

Thanks. I knew that was a hot topic around here so I couldn't pass up that chance. For anyone wondering, I didn't really ask about spoilers as you don't need to go to the executive producer for that. You talk to actors and/or the head writer. For the things I asked Ken, that's what he deals with.

• Members

It didn't sound like it's an impossibility that we'll see the old shows again. Didn't sound probable either, but at least Corday made it sound like streaming all the shows from the beginning is something they're at least thinking about. 

Is it wrong of me to hope General Hospital gets cancelled so that Days, and not GH, is the longest-running show? Sorry. I was never a fan of GH. Although I doubt either of them will surpass GL's 72 years. 

• Members

Hey @Errol this was an incisive and well-researched interview. Soap 'journalism' such as it is, is not always great, as it rarely treats the genre seriously, as the bread-and-butter business that it is. This article gave context, asked serious questions about getting renewed (which I'm sure Corday must have appreciated), production, and Days' streaming potential. It is as factual as any news I've read on Reuters or Bloomberg, and I hope some of the wire services end up using your article to reference.

Congrats on landing the interview!

• Members

I stopped watching Y&R and B&B altogether.  I used to post once in a while but it's been 2+ months that I've seen one minute of either.  All 4 shows remaining will be around for awhile, and their ratings could tank through the basement and they'll still be on the air.  They have on their side the fact that there is literally nothing to replace them with, especially after Ellen announced this coming year is her last and the Talk is so far in the dregs it's just further proof that for the most part talk shows are not working.  Kelly and Tamron had the luck of somewhat OK ratings and that's all anyone can hope for now.  3rd and 4th hours of Morning shows re-branded as GMA3 or Today in the afternoon will not work now.  

• Members

I echo what @Cat said - very nicely done getting these kinds of answers out of Corday. I'm sure he appreciated actual questions about the production model and the ability to produce the show within budget when so much of soap 'journalism' ignores the business aspect entirely. 

• Members

I think a lot of it has to do that people have to take time to sit down and actually do the paperwork. Evidently, the owners of The Doctors + RetroTv were happy to do that. Putting down such a task for DAYS might be seen as long down the list of costs that they need since they're still making money on producing current content.

• Webmaster

Thank you, @Cat. I read this message yesterday and I choked up. Really appreciate your kind words as you saw what I was going for in the piece and I'm glad it resonated. Hoping to continue following this template as we continue covering daytime movers and shakers.

Thank you, @DaytimeFan. As I said earlier, if I wanted to discuss storylines or spoilers I could talk to a head writer or an actor involved in the storyline. From the business side of things only the EP can speak to that.

• Members

I wanted to echo the sentiments of Cat and others, it was a great interview Errol! I appreciated the questions you asked.

I do hope we see the old episodes someday. It sounds like a chore which is why it's avoided, but it doesn't sound totally impossible (DVD sales and streaming sales could make up that cost, but I wonder if it would even come close? LOL).

Ken seems to have the mindset that streaming is the future, and I agree with him. Also glad he talked about it doing well on Peacock. For a long time Days was #1 (or at least in the top) on the NBC app, for whatever that was worth.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Awww, no problem, Errol! You are going in the right direction! Good information is a precious commodity these days. It's far less work to gossip, speculate and editorialize rather than doing the groundwork, reaching out to people, and preparing questions which aim to find answers. However, that work pays off in dividends because little by little people start to rely on your work for quality and facts.

The interesting thing about your interview with Corday is how open and matter-of-fact he seemed talking about the business end. It is very different from when TPTB talk about upcoming story -- they don't want to give much away, and they are scared the fans will hate it, so they stay guarded.

I think it is fascinating to see how these people/companies put in the work behind the scenes. Corday envisions a future for Days and has some strategies in place with regards to that. That is a good sign because it shows he is committed to keeping the show going.