RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

R.I.P. John Trimble. He, along with his wife, Betty Joanne (Bjo), started a letter-writing campaign when Star Trek was facing cancellation after its 2nd season. As a result of their efforts, the show got a 3rd season, making it eligible for syndication...and we know what happened from there.

https://www.startrek.com/news/remembering-john-trimble

John Trimble attends the Star Trek: Discovery Season 1 red carpet premiere and flashes the Vulcan salute

• Members

From what I understand, though, the network's reversing their decision on "Star Trek" was kind of a double-edged sword.  Yes, the franchise got another season, but with a reduced budget and without Gene Roddenberry's participation.

• Members

The 3rd season is usually regarded as having the preponderance of the worst-written stories along with the smaller budget. Plus, the show got moved to the kiss-of-death Friday night slot. But the long-term result was that the show gained massive popularity in the syndicated reruns which, in turn, led to the franchise becoming the behemoth that is still going to this day. Many of us who grew up on those 79 episodes watched them over and over again, even the clunkers, lol. And most, or all, of what came after, with varying opinions. The Trimbles' efforts set the wheels in motion.

A side comment, or opinion about Roddenberry. As one of those who fell in love with the show during its syndication I, of course, admire what he accomplished. But as the years passed and the franchise grew, he continued to hold on to his basic vision and, essentially tied down some creative hands. The TNG characters had to all be upstanding folks who got along with one another. DS9 didn't happen at all while he was alive because he totally rejected the concept. He seemed to be a combination of forward-thinking in some ways and not so much so in other ways.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Meg Bennett died April 11 following a battle with cancer. She was 75. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/meg-bennett-dead-young-and-restless-1235878548/

I find myself swearing, loudly. oh, and [!@#$%^&*] CANCER. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Contessa Donatella
pix

• Members

I must admit, @applcin, I'm not a Trekkie - or is it Trekker, lol? - so my knowledge of all things ST is extremely limited.  But I definitely thank you so much for this information! 

Please register in order to view this content