RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When I was a kid, my parents watched Cheers. I thought Kirstie Alley was an interesting presence, as everyone on the show was, but I was more drawn to her movies, which were often not good (I'm not talking about Wrath as I didn't see that one for a while), but which utilized her energy more, whether it be boisterous, fragile, sleepy, or ethereal, sometimes in the same scene. The weird movie with Tom Selleck and killer robot spiders, the weird movie where she was married to Scott Bakula and slept with his brother Sam Elliott (and it gets even weirder...), the manic Madhouse with John Larroquette, cult classic Summer School, with peak Mark Harmon, and Look Who's Talking 1, 2 and 3, which gets progressively more and more bizarre, from Elias Koteas as her gun-toting, nutso wingnut brother to Lysette Anthony as a temptress trying to steal her man, leading her to have fantasies of weeping in a morgue while dressed in French gear.

I'm sorry about what she became, but I can't help thinking of what she used to be and how unique her aura was. I will miss that, and what never was. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I saw Madhouse in the theater for some ungodly reason. The TV scene where Kirstie just slams her head on the anchor desk over and over always cracked me up.

Kirstie was also one of the last of John Carpenter's gilt-edged genre women - stylish and forbidding in his flawed but disturbing remake of Village of the Damned with Christopher Reeve.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I think I did too. That and the scene where she and John return home at the end and terrify everyone out because they've both completely lost their minds by that point are probably what I remember most.

I think I also saw It Takes Two in a theater, now that I remember. 

• Members

Kirstie had absolutely no ego onscreen, which is what made her so watchable on Cheers and so many other things, including an up and down movie career. Laurie Metcalf is often the same on Roseanne/The Conners; her visceral revulsion with herself after sleeping with Tom Arnold's character on that show is hysterical and reminded me a lot of Kirstie. It's funny that her other iconic role, Saavik in Star Trek, is so controlled and razor-precise, a total opposite of her typical wheelhouse, and yet she played both extremes (plus the steely noir antiheroine/villain in Carpenter's Village of the Damned that I mentioned in the edit above) perfectly.

Then again, Saavik was an interesting Vulcan character for Trek. The dialogue didn't make it into most cuts of TWOK, but Saavik was actually half-Romulan, which meant she had access to emotions. So it makes sense for a little bit of the other Kirstie Alley to slip into that very different character, when in her first scene, facing impossible odds, the controlled Vulcan officer mutters 'damn.'

• Members

I just realized tonight that several of Travolta’s leading ladies—Diana Hyland, Kelly Preston, Olivia Newton-John, and now Kirstie Alley—have passed from cancer. It’s nothing more than a coincidence and many people die from cancer each year, but it struck me and made me sad.

• Members

I wish I could find the clip from that Cheers scene of drunk Rebecca singing Bob Seger’s “We’ve Got Tonite.” I remember laughing my ass off as a kid at that. I believe those were the scenes Kirstie submitted when she won her Emmy for Cheers.

She should have been Oscar-nominated for that performance in Deconstructing Harry. Hell, Beatrice Straight won an Oscar for less.