Podcast discussing Soap survival and BLM

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I finally got a chance to listen to the whole thing and really enjoyed the discussion, even laughed along while shaking my head in disgust at the same time, especially with the Victoria Rowell situation. Hope to hear more discussions like this soon. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Except for the Cancelled Soaps thread, I've pretty much been posting about non-soap topics.  Only since coronavirus became a pandemic have I been even posting in the classic Y&R thread.  Topics like these are interesting to me, so I tend to engage when it comes to issues of representation. But I agree that without major structural changes to these soap production companies (which we know they won't do), the days of the daytime network soaps being watchable are in the rearview mirror. I gave up on the current set a long time ago.

• Members

People don't want to hear it but I agree with them. If soaps don't make changes, and make them quickly, they don't deserve to last another 5 years. From a pure quality standpoint I don't think they deserve it anyway, but aside from that if they don't take this opportunity to take a hard look at themselves and make changes when it comes to representation they can just go. They need to take substantive action behind the scenes and in front of the camera and not just do some performative nonsense in an attempt to shut people up. 

• Members

As someone whose two favorite soaps have been off the air now for nearly a decade, believe me when I say that it's not too terrible on the other side - I honestly think that once they're all gone, they might get more respect for their merits in hindsight. Kinda like those artists who became popular after death.

Famous pianist and jazz singer Hazel Scott made a deal with the show's head-writers to make an appearance on OLTL as well. She would play a famous relative of Carla's who would sing a song to the newlyweds. Hazel Scott wrote the song herself and appeared in the October 3 and 4 episodes of 1973, in which Carla and Ed married. The wedding was also the first on-screen soap opera wedding of two African American characters.  

I got that from Carla's FANDOM bio. https://onelifetolive.fandom.com/wiki/Carla_Gray 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Thanks for listening. 

I thought I was over it but I'm not. I wish this would end differently. But even seeing the particular climate, I bet this shows will come back centering the same folks in the same stories. 

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

With a number of the most featured actors being close to or in the highest risk group (MTS, EB, PB etc.), I had previously wondered whether Y&R might be forced to rely more on its younger cast members but the poor writing would still be an issue...a big one.

I understand not being totally over it.  I still imagine better ending stories for my favorite cancelled show, which ended so poorly.