Podcast discussing Soap survival and BLM

• Members

Awe....thanks. I haven't been paying soaps much attention since the quarantine other than what I've seen come across my timeline Twitter. I'm just so tired of fighting them for the smallest presence for Black characters. I have let soaps go. 

I would like to think that daytime would see this change happening in the world and decide it's time to move forward. But I don't have any hope that it happen. 

I agree with everything except Black Dollars. Companies are more in tuned with the Black people and how that can effect the bottom line more than ever. Otherwise, we would see companies attempting to speak to "Black Lives Matters." Don't get me wrong, it helps that the cause is more mainstream and amplified by white voices too. 

Everyone knows that Black women are trendsetters and at the forefront of popular culture. Daytime just refuses to budge. It's also why the soaps continue to die. Where is the 18-49 demo? I'll answer. Watching shows more diverse than these. 

Edited by ajsp35801

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Maybe it was because they had Robert Flack? I know AW had a couple weddings of interest for their AA characters in the mid-80’s. Nathan & Olivia had a lovely lush wedding the year before on Y&R but it was mainly family & close friends(although didn’t Scott & Sheila attend LOL?) where as Hamp & Gilly had all of Springfield and Roberta Flack show up to celebrate at Towers. 

• Members

At this point, I think these soaps would be surprised that people care that much. That’s just how half-heartedly I think they regard these shows. (I watched a bit of Y&R pre-COVID, and it’s like one giant shrug emoji, with the exception of a handful of committed actors.) They’re placeholders that do generate some income. Most people under 50 are surprised they still exist. 

Edit: this podcast makes me sad, especially the comments about what the panel would have done if they had to do it all over again, because of the missed opportunities. Soaps are dead, and the few voices who were screaming about things when it mattered weren’t listened to. It *is* too late.

I appreciate the love for Hollyoaks’ diversity, but man, that show is a ROUGH watch.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I'm sure that more are planned but none of it has been discussed with me.

I was only invited because everyone else on the short list were otherwise engaged. 

I'll let you guys know of I hear something. 

I am not sure so don't quote me but I think so. The title is Soap Boxing so it's gotta be about soaps, right? 

• Members

I just can't believe not even one channel is willing to take a chance, to be different. To have a multi-cultural canvas. GH is set in a hospital. B&B in the fashion industry. It just makes no sense. They were right about the soaps recycling the same people.

Why can't they use interns of all different backgrounds to broaden the canvas? 

I'm not saying its easy to modernize the show's but it damn sure ain't that hard.