Podcast discussing Soap survival and BLM

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

You're great! You're all great! I really enjoyed that entire podcast. I've wanted to do a soap podcast but my one friend who watches soaps won't do it with me (he knows who he is). I hope y'all make more episodes. Try to recruit some daytime actors/crew willing to speak on their experiences.

Thanks.

Edited by Darn

• Members

The comment about these black characters not being in touch with anything “culturally black” - oof, I’ve had many arguments about that on this board.

Re: them not knowing how to light black actors on these shows like Loren Lott: “Black people weren’t invented 10 years ago.”

I love this podcast. 

• Members

And you'll notice that Carla had black people in her wedding party. When I was watching the character's wedding to Jack Scott, I was baffled by the show's choice to have Viki Riley as her matron of honor. The two of them had barely interacted for years. It would have made more sense for Sadie to have stood up for her daughter. 

• Members

It's interesting to me how much different soaps incorporated black characters throughout the 70s and then left them behind as the decade turned to the 80s. AMC seems to be the only one to make an effort at expanding the role of the black characters it already had by introducing Jesse as Frank and Nancy Grant's nephew. Comparing that photo from Ed and Carla's wedding to what passed as wedding for Carla less than a decade later is crazy.

We know that by 1980-1981, daytime was chasing a younger audience and for the most part no longer cared about social relevance or realism, but damn...did that also have to mean "We don't have to worry about including major black characters anymore."

• Members

I guess it's all systematic. None of these shows were created with black or minority characters in mind (except maybe OLTL) - their innate purpose was to market household products to middle-class white women. That thinking still permeates this medium to its detriment. 

Whatever representation there was for black characters has always been under the guide of white writer, whether that be Agnes Nixon or Bill Bell. Black creatives have never been in a position in daytime soaps to create characters that reflect their own diverse backgrounds. Production studios and advertisers don't place the same value on the Black dollar as they do on the White dollar and that doesn't seem to be changing.