Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Danny was such an @sshole to Traci. It’s a very believable response, but wow. This was one of the better performances I’ve seen from Michael Damian, who could be uneven at best.

Beth Maitland was just 26 when she gave this Emmy-winning performance. I suppose she was just above the cutoff for the new category for younger actress, won that year by TEB. Judi Evans had won Supporting Actress (for Beth on GL) the year prior at only 20 years old, so I do wonder if the real reason for the younger categories was to protect the veteran performers from daytime’s youth onslaught.

• Members

LOL!!! Problem of it is I don’t think 911 fully became accessible everywhere until the late 80’s. 

Interesting Beth was 26 she looked the young college girl part so well. 

McGuire was gorgeous and golden as Cora. Cora and Gina vs. Lauren were definitely the highlights of the show.

• Members

from Global:
US Tuesday June 30, 2020 (CDN Mon June 29, 2020)

#5509, original US airdate Wed Dec 14, 1994.

I found a recap! finally!

NOTE: The reason "An American Custom" is capitalized by the recapper is because the recapper was referring to the fact in the recent episodes' dialog, characters *frequently* mention that Luan and Keemo are learning American customs. They were saying it in Sept 1994 episodes, and here it is December 1994 and it's still written in the dialog.

Here is the recap as written. I fixed the spelling of "Luan" which the recapper could not have googled in 1994.

(I omitted the recapper's personal dislikes/likes).

rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs/AaYGePRwoE0/TfYhfoPHmtQJ

Y&R Wednesday 12/14 Update (fwd)

Posted 12/19/94

Here's what happened on Wednesday.  It was great!

Abbott Home
Jill and John Silva are discussing the Jabot Spa offer.  While John thinks it's too good to be true, Jill maintains that it's John's way of admitting arterial defeat, with the added bonus of getting her out of his hair.  They leave the house, but John S. has to file some documents at the courthouse before he can meet Jill.  He warns her not to sign on the dotted line until he sees the contract.

Jahhhbot
John Abbot and Jack are very pleased with their soon-to-be-coup.  John didn't think it would be so easy, but Jack reminds him that they are appealing to Jill's most primal urges:  status, glamour and money. 

Ranch
Nikki is needling Victor about his paying for Sharon's Mom's surgery.  She is adamant that Victor keep this a secret from Nicholas for fear that he would interpret Victor's deed as a stamp of approval.  Victor notes that he was quite impressed with Sharon (which earns him a "Men!" from Nikki).  Nikki remarks that sometimes smart men can be so dumb.

Hospital Room
Sharon is packing up her Mom's stuff, remarking that it is good to be going home.  Doris agrees, adding that she could have kissed the doctor when he told her she was released.  Sharon teases her mother, suggesting that the doctor might be single.  They continue to exchange smiles and pleasantries (no kidding, I mean really!)

[Roll Theme]

Cricket's Pad
Cricket is digging in her purse.  Knock at the door - while Christine thinks it might be Lynne, unfortunately it's Paul.  Cricket reminds Paul that he's not welcome at her bridal shower, and he offers to hide in the closet (didn't know he had it in him!) She asks whether his Mother is coming.  He doesn't think so.

Jahhhhbot
Jack and John are hopeful.  They believe they're the best influence on Billy.  Jill arrives.  They quickly get serious.  She's anxious to sign, and is beaming.

Ranch
Victor reminds Nikki of her roots -- she was once very much like Sharon, quite interested in wealth.  Nikki balks at this.  They agree not to agree, and Victor goes to leave.  Nikki calls him back, and invites Victor and Hope to a special family Christmas Dinner.  Victor grumbles and softens.  He would really like to be there.

Cricket's Apartment
Nina, Olivia, Gina and Lynne arrive with the decorations.  Christine is gone to work.  They've got decorations, food, gifts, etc..  The girls giggle at the fact that Cricket thinks it's only going to be a lingerie party.  They hope that Mary Williams isn't coming, 'cause this is gonna be a triple-X party.  They set about decorating.

Jahhhhhbot
Jill explains that John Silva is on his way.  John and Jack explain the terms of the contract.  Jill is taking the bait.  She asks if she can look the contract over.  Poker faces watch her read.

Cricket's
Drucilla, Lauren and Luan arrive.  The place is all decorated with balloons (purple, green, yellow, pink, red).  Luan hasn't ever been to a lingerie shower.  They explain that it's (you guessed it) An American Custom.  Lauren asks whether Mary is expected.  They all say no, and a general sigh of relief is expressed all around.

Ranch
Victor asks whether Victoria and Nick would like anything special for Christmas.  Nikki brings up the Collins thing again.  She compliments Victor on his compassion, but pleads with him not to tell Nick.

Sharon's Home
The place has all been decorated.  Doris thanks her for preparing the place for her arrival.  Sharon remarks that some good came out of all the bad things that have happened, since Doris got the surgery she needed.   Sharon vows to repay Victor somehow, someway.  Doris remarks that it was very nice of Nick to bring flowers, and Sharon agrees that he's really a nice guy.

Tacky Room
Victor goes to the door, and it's opened by Nicholas.  Victor wants to talk to him.

Jahhhhbot
Jack and John A. point out that the offer represents a substantial salary increase over her present one, and there are ample opportunities for her housing.  Her responsibilities will be enormous, and if this is successful, they will open more spas in the vacation hot spots and Europe.  Jill is thrilled.  Jack produces a pen.

Party Central
Cricket arrives.  Gina brings snacks, Luan pops the cork on a bottle of champagne.  Drucilla refuses champagne, and everyone asks if she's pregnant.  Dru finally admits that she's "got one in the oven".  They make a toast.  Nina:  "To my best friend in the whole wide world, who will soon have the best underwear."   The all laugh and drink to that.

The camera turns to the hallway outside the door.  A headless body emerges from the elevator, holding a large, pink-wrapped box.  Sheeee's Heeeerrrre!

Tacky Room
Victor stopped by to see how things were going for Nick.  He asks about school, social life.  Victor asks about Amy.  Nick tells him he likes Amy a lot, but it's Sharon Collins he'd prefer to be with.

(commercial)

They sit down.  Victor tells Nick that every man at some time in his life experiences rejection.  Victor encourages Nick not to give up.  Nick tells him it's of no use, and relates the hospital scene, where Sharon gives him a cold shoulder.

Bridal Shower
Cricket is holding a blue satin bra and panties thing up to herself, with a devilish grin.  It's from Gina.  Mary rings the doorbell.  Nina is unpleasantly surprised and allows Mary to enter.  Meanwhile, Cricket is unwrapping a red lace bra.  The girls ask her whether she's going to model it, but Cricket says she'll save it for Paul.  Mary overhears this and screws up her face and lips.

Jahhhhbot

Jill takes another read.  The pressure's on, but Jill wants to wait.  She thanks them for the wonderful opportunity and their faith in her.  She looks at her watch.  She sees that the contract is very clear, and doesn't see anything that John Silva would question.  She signs.  John signs, Jill beams and takes her copy.  She thanks them and leaves.

Outside the office door, Jill smiles and struts away.  Back inside the office, John and Jack high-five.

Shower

Gina is making Cricket's hat (out of the ribbons - glad to see someone else gets an ugly hat!).  Meanwhile, back at the doorway, Nina is asking Mary if she's sure she wants to be there.  Mary asks whether she's making them feel uncomfortable, and Nina tells her that her concern is just the opposite.

Meanwhile, Cricket opens Luan's gift.  It's a purple see-through lace teddy thing with a skirt bottom.  She loves it, and (you guessed it) compliments Luan on catching on to American Customs so easily.  She loves the purple thing so much that she leaps up from the couch and swings around to show everyone.  As she looks through the lacy underthing, she spies Mary's sourpuss and mutters "oh-oh".  Nina announces Mary's arrival.

On cue, Mary hugs Lynne, and introduces herself.  Many uncomfortable looks all around and Nina suggests that Cricket open Mary's gift next.  Great idea.  Nina whispers to Lynne that it's probably a chastity belt (LOL).

And..... Guess What!

It's a toaster!  Mrs. Williams points out that it heats up in less than 30 seconds (collective "Oh!" from the group, and many smiles).  Mary apologizes for being late and encourages Chris to continue unwrapping.  Mary asks whether Lauren is there.

Nina looks nervously up the stairs and all eyes turn to see Lauren modelling a hot white peignoir set with garters and stockings.  She announces her arrival by describing how perfect it will be to keep Cricket comfy 'til she's between the sheets with Paul.  Lauren removes her robe as she descends the stairs, to reveal a short nightie.  When she reaches the bottom of the stairs, she removes the nightie to reveal a white teddy, just in time to notice Mary.  She whips the nightie back on and runs back up the stairs!

Gina flies in with a tray of desserts, but Mary's seen enough.  Cricket begs her to stay for tea and dessert.

In the background, Dru and Nina giggle at their gifts, which they didn't let Cricket open in Mary's presence.  Dru's is a black leather bra with matching garter, and Nina's is edible panties -- in seven different flavours.  They go into fits of laughter at the thought of Mary's face when Cricket would have opened the gifts.

Tacky Room
Nick is discouraged, but Victor isn't so sure he should be.  Victor decides not to tell Nick about paying for the surgery right yet.

Ranch
Nikki dials the phone.  Amy answers the other end.  Nikki invites Amy over for Christmas Dinner or to visit sometime during the day.  Amy thinks her for the invite and beams.  She'll check with her Mom.

Tacky Room
Nick thanks Victor for being interested.  They bond a little more.  Nick leaves.

Cricket's Place
She's alone, when Paul comes a-knockin'.  He says he's the panty police.  Cricket asks if she's under arrest.  They smooch.  He wants a complete report.  Cricket says there's not much to report:  it was your typical lingerie ORgy (she likes the word a lot and gives it special emphasis).  She adds that unfortunately the naked men didn't show up.  Paul offers to oblige.  He asks if he can see any of the goodies, but Cricket won't let him until they're married.  He asks whether his Mom showed up, and Cricket tells him that they are the proud new owners of a toaster:  but not just any toaster - it's a four-slicer, that heats up in under 30 seconds!  Paul says he's got that beat by 20 seconds!

Jahhhhbot
John thanks Jack profusely.  John Silva calls from the stock Y&R phone booth.  He's been involved in a minor traffic accident, and he will be delayed.  John Abbott tells him not to hurry:  the deed's done.  John Silva is really p-ssed off.  John and Jack are really pleased with themselves.

Collins'
Doorbell rings and Sharon opens the door to find a vase of flowers in the hallway by their door.  The flowers are from Nicholas.  Doris remarks that Nick is a thoughtful boy, and that it was a lovely thing to do.  Sharon holds the card to her heart and smiles.  Nicholas watches from outside the window, with a smile that could light up all of Genoa City.

The end.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Quadrangle: Ashley/Victor/Nikki/Jack

Feud: Victor/Jack

I also think the younger categories were created to keep the newcomers from overshadowing the veterans. The younger categories didn't have an age limit until 1989 when it was set at 21; the age limit was raised to 26 in 1991. In the years where there was no age limit in the younger categories, there were nominees like Debbi Morgan (1986 at age 29) and Andrea Evans (1988 at age 31).

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Lauralee definitely improved as years went by but her acting here  was very cringy I hate to say...I’ve always thought Damian was an ok actor but he was very good here. I do agree CBS should have had a number to call for people who are struggling or even have Beth Maitland do one at the end.

Lauren vs Gina was a highlight for me, definitely a rivalry we don’t really get to see much, but I certainly want to see more of the Neil Fenmore/Gina That Lauren our the kabosh on because of Ginas past..

I was a little confused with the Cora scenes? Was she pretending to be mean to get some sort of reaction out of Victor? I feel like it was said at the end but I missed it somehow...with that said it was thrilling to see Cora go off on Victor like that...I feel like they could have kept on in the long haul.

overall the more I see of these 80s episodes I have to honestly say I think I prefer this more “carefree” tone the show had at this time before it can sort of structured and more business oriented in the 90s...not that I don’t dislike that era it’s just something I noticed.

• Members

Watching now!

Please register in order to view this content

From the 7/31/84 SOD recap "Cora admits to Kay that she only made those claims in front of Victor to save his marriage to Nikki" After this - Cora heads to the airport but falls and breaks her hip, then is sent to the hospital.

• Members

I do see a lot of pushback on those  complaints. A select few of those bitching raise a good point: there’s a reason why heavily serialized programming doesn’t repeat well, especially chopped up like this. You’re left hanging with every cliffhanger, and there’s nowhere to push people to watch the continuation, as old episodes aren’t streaming. We here love watching old one-offs on YouTube as scholars of the genre, but dipping in and out of stories isn’t the best experience. But it’s not like they had a ton of time and resources to implement something different. Some of these people don’t seem to realize COVID’s impact, though, which is silly.