Days of our lives renewed for season 56!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

LOL yep. And that bistro set? And Julie's Place is awkward and smaller. The prison sets look "spacious". And TBH I'm good with a break from the DiMansion set. Definitely some staging/filming angles differences.

At least they're painting the blue wall room gray now and added a refresh of the smaller hospital set. So steps on improvement (sort of) but then smaller sets. I guess it is what it is at this point. At least we aren't in some alleyway in Burbank yet.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I love the new hospital... it was such an effective way to visually mark the TJ.  (Incidentally, University Hospital was the ONLY aesthetic change Gary Tomlin made that I liked.)

The bistro is obviously DiMansion study redressed but I love it.  I'm so disappointed in Julie's Place... that set is a flop, which is surprising because even without a budget, set design has really improved over the last couple years... esp. the revamps of the Kiriakis mansion and Horton home--they really turned out great, imo.  And the little touches with Gabi Chic, Saxtons, and Salem Inn at the square add a lot after tptb stopped giving a sh!t about HTS in

2013.  Eric even has his Africa photography in his apartment.  Someone finally cares!  LOL.  And the Chabby in Paris apartment was gorgeous, and totally reflective of Abby's art background.  The multipurpose warehouse set is fine; I appreciate getting spaces for Gina, Basic Black, and Eli (too bad we lost ugly Martin House, though... that had a lot of historical significance).  J&M's townhouse redecoration is a huge improvement but Kayla's condo is an embarrassingly obvious redress.

But I think it's too bad we're doing without DiMansion foyer/living room for now... seeing so much of DiMansion and getting DiMera Enterprises sets really helped that Stefan/Gabby nonsense for me in early 2018.  Environment can really change mood, but alas we have no money lolol.

• Members

If they are utilizing smaller sets now, then they need to shrink the cast size, too.  I saw some of the scenes at the bistro and Julie's Place, and I swear it looked as if people were sitting in each other's laps.  DAYS' cast is still too big given the ever-shrinking size of its' production.

• Members

Folks on the other soaps know that once that domino falls, and a network gets completely out of the soap business, it’s not inconceivable for the other networks to follow suit shortly thereafter. These are the lucky four... for now, especially with the non-soap disappointments and failures CBS and especially ABC have suffered. I do wonder if Kelly Clarkson and Tamron Hall popping this season might fuel a rethinking of what works in the daytime talk show space. 

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Perhaps.  

If they're not careful, though, the networks could reach a saturation point with chat shows very quickly.  As it is, for every Kelly Clarkson who "pops," there are about a half-dozen Queen Latifahs or Harry Connick, Jr.'s who don't.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Lol.

This is true.  I never cared for the set design when Tom Langan was EP, but he had motherf**kin' $$ to spend.  Besides Salem Place and all the shots on the Burbank lot, there were dozens and dozens of sets and some public spaces were huge with multiple areas (I remember University Hospital with a huge lobby/nurse's/admin station, a huge cafeteria, a big ass hallway, and terrace... and Salem Inn's lobby was crazy big).  But ya, even though I like the bistro... everything is right there; Tuscany and Dot Com had several, distinct areas where multiple scenes could take place without this current claustrophobic, confining environment.  You can do that kind of thing at Brady Pub still, but it's probably too time consuming to plan scenes at the bar, a little table, and booth all in the same block.