• Members

Hearing the name Dimitri Merrick on a recent GH episode made me nostalgic for when he arrived on AMC, and that lead me to thinking about how that show slowly phased him out.

If you watched AMC in the early 1990’s, Edmund and Dimitri were huge characters that were always front burner.  An entire family backstory, a significant set (Wildwind), and romantic pairings with important veterans of their shows (Erica and Brooke). But then kind of suddenly they were not.  They just slowly phased them out completely.

These were not flash in the pan characters, but instead kind of discarded after relatively short periods of importance in the grand scheme of things on their shows.

Other examples?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Y&R 

Paul Williams - had a family built around him, married 2 leading ladies (amongst others) and front burner for years before slowly diminishing in importance and then dropped quietly. Back in the same limited capacity (grouchy, ineffective police chief)

• Members

On the Dimitri front, that was due to Michael Nader being on drugs. AMC did temp recast with Anthony Addabo but he was miscast. Then Dimitri & Alex were gone 3 months later

Michael reprised Dimitri in 2013 on AMC revival

I wonder if Eva & John's divorce led to Edmund being killed off in Jan 2005

And they did nothing with Christian Campbell as Bobby Warner or Natalia Calgulia as Anita

Edited by John

• Members

So true - and Nick was annoying as heck. As soon as Brad saw the magic with Stuffy/Lame/Dope, the show quickly erased Nick/Jackie/Owen, etc. The whole Marone thing was a huge mistake all because they wanted Joe so much, which bombed from Day 1. Now with Rick vanquished, the only "Forrester" legacy children on-canvas are actually from the Marone line.  

• Members

John Dixon, ATWT

While some characters on ATWT only seemed to get a lot of story during one, maybe two writing regimes (if they were fortunate), John got quite a bit of prominent storylines over several writing regimes from the late 1970s throughout the entire 1980s. 

Even in the 1990s, he got a pretty decent amount of screen time, although the quality of the stories could be inconsistent.

A few years before he left though, he seemed to be a glorified extra at times.  I guess those disputes of seniority and salary pay-cuts were really brought to bear before he pretty much faded and only showed up for a brief story arc right before the show's cancellation to usher Lucinda off the canvas.