The Heights (ABC)

• Members

There's a new Australian series/soap called The Heights airing on ABC in Australia. I've been watching it and it's very good. It airs 2 episodes each Friday, Series 1 has been split in two, the first 16 episodes started in February, the next (not sure how many) are airing in July. 

It has a very diverse cast including a character with cerebral palsy, indigenous Australians (and actors), a family of Iranian descent and a Vietnamese shopkeeper who has a gay son. I would highly recommend it, it's probably a more accurate reflection of Australian life than Neighbours or Home and Away.

Edited by Edward Skylover

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah that annoyed me, some Australian actors seem to have a weird thing against soaps but I guess that happens across territories. Ironically her character is one of the weakest, it's definitely worth a watch. Its production values aren't as good as Neighbours but the writing is good.

• Members

Sadly, there's still a stigma towards soaps. I can't say I blame the stigma because often times the soaps are so poorly produced and acted it can be an embarrassment. But it always bugs me too when a show is, at it's core, a soap opera, but they reject the term and insist "they're better". It turns me off.

Edited by KMan101

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Back in 2018, I became aware of the forthcoming drama, The Heights, due for a 2019 debut on ABC in Australia.

It looked interesting because it was set in a housing community that hosted a high rise, where many of the characters lived, and could have more of an inner city feel. You don’t even really get that over here. 

For various reasons, I was never able to find it, and decided I would not look for episode recaps. It left my mind, and It took me until only a few weeks ago to find out it had been broadcast on BBC TV over here.

So I binge watched the 60 episodes produced (over 2 series, with a question mark over a 3rd despite critical acclaim).

It’s gritty, a little grown up in tone and compelling, with a very diverse cast, both in terms of ethnicity but other compositions, such as disability, the relative lack of the former in Neighbours and especially H&A being a general observation over here.

Addendum: I was not aware of the dismissive tomes of any of the actors towards soap operas, but realistically, that wouldn’t have stopped me watching based on the good reviews the show has gotten. 

I’d certainly recommend it in and of itself as it’s well written, generally well acted (but that’s always subjective) and sugar coats very little. 

• Members

That is true and that is a huge shame. I’d be more willing to accept it’s likely fate had the quality dropped in Series 2, but it didn’t. In fact it felt like it was about to step up a gear.

I hope I’m wrong but the pandemic has decimated network budgets and cut a swathe through ordinarily viable shows.

Edited by LondonScribe