Best/Worst Network Promo Campaigns

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's odd that 30 years later promos were directed at a totally different audience.  However, the 1974 promos are appropriate for their time.  Heck, there was a show called How to Survive a Marriage, soaps were all about "contemporary drama" and navel-gazing seemed sophisticated.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I love that promo even though the horn is annoying. I wonder why they just listed those 3 soaps as a triple feature and excluded Y&R and Search For Tomorrow ?

The only 70's Y&R promos I have seen are: The 1973 debut with the voice over during the opening credits talking about an exciting new soap by William J. Bell the head writer for Days Of Our Lives and the 1979 promo of Nikki killing her father and Casey comforting her.

Is it just me, or does GL Peggy Fletcher look like Brett Butler of Grace Under Fire fame ? 

• Members

Yeah, what IS with that horn?  What was it supposed to signify?  Because, it certainly would not compel me to think GL was a soap filled to bursting with dramatic tension and high stakes drama.

The editing makes you think OLTL's Brody is getting a b.j. in the shower.

• Members

The scene from The Doctors in that 1974 clip was romantic, the problem was without dialogue it made no sense. So unless you saw that day, you would be very confused. 

I didn't mind the airhorn on the TGL ad. I think it was supposed to make people look away from what they were doing (they thought everyone was ironing I guess...) and look at the television, as since you couldn't hear any dialogue the only way you knew what was going on was watching the screen. (I'm only partly joking.)

• Members

1978 promo for the premiere of Dallas. It's pretty good, but the thing about "exposing the secrets that they had hoped to hide forever" was kind of odd. Little did CBS know that the 5 episodes that aired as a mid season replacement would turn into the blockbuster it would become by 1980.  I have still yet to see a 1979 promo for the debut of Knots Landing. 

• Members

Does anyone remember CBS Daytime had a promo that used Patti Austin's The Heat of Heat song? 

I think it ran in 1986, which I think was the same year they used the Robert Palmer Addicted to Love song. 

Maybe each ran in different seasons? 

Both promos had virtually the same theme of ocean waves lapping up on the beach then retreating, revealing the name of the soap written in the sand.

EDT:  I found one example.  I wish we could find the extended promos where he hear the actual song, no the reverb echo.