The Media/Journalism Thread

• Members

And just like that, the dream is over.

Do y'all think Fox News will take back Chris Wallace, or nah?

And didn't I read in one of the articles you posted, @Vee, that WBD plans to shift AWAY from the Zucker model of personality-led shows (i.e., Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon, Chris Cuomo) and back toward breaking-news?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I believe that's their claim, but I think they also implied in that same article they want to get away from 'editorializing about the partisanship in Washington,' which to me doesn't suggest they're ever going to stop courting the racist Republican base and begging for their approval.

• Members

I wondered if Chris Wallace will just get to take his huge check and retire to the Hamptons (where all network anchors go after TV), or if they'll make him pinch hit for Anderson when he takes a vacation?

Meanwhile, I blame Alison Roman, she is a bad penny that could kill any project.

Edited by j swift

• Members

"We Are the World" wasn't this maudlin.

But seriously.  Am I missing something here?  I don't see what was so revolutionary about CNN+.  To me, it just seems (well, SEEMED) like the other 42 news "channels" that air on PlutoTV.

Edited by Khan

• Members

There was an article about the CNN+ “implosion” in the NYT and it outlined some of the mistakes the network make with launching a streaming service before the merger between Warner Bros. and Discovery had completed, knowing that a merger would, in effect, be a new company with new and different priorities and a shifted focus.

IMO, also believe that the timing was poor for a launch of another paid streaming service. Had it been based on a FAST streaming model, that would have been a different concept, but one that  might have gotten some support from the new merged corporation but FAST would have been unable to support that very expensive “star-studded” lineup.
A FAST CNN+ service would have started out humble with perhaps one fairly well known journalist and other experience and intrepid reporters covering events and news that receive less media coverage, news that is not splashy but important nevertheless. But CNN+ wanted travel shows with sex appeal and big name ‘talking heads’.

• Members

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/apr/25/twitter-elon-musk-buy-takeover-deal-tesla

Twitter agrees to Elon Musk takeover deal

Twitter has agreed to sell itself to Elon Musk, the world’s richest man, in a $44bn (£35bn) deal.

The deal puts the Tesla chief executive in charge of a company with 217 million users and an influential role in shaping the political and media agenda on both sides of the Atlantic.

Musk has signalled that Twitter will be overhauled under his leadership, including changes in content moderation, having described himself as a “free speech absolutist”.

... the apparent opposition of Twitter’s board faded after Musk drew up a $46.5bn funding package for the bid, including $21bn of his own money. According to reports, both shareholders and the Twitter board began to take the offer seriously once finance had been put in place.

The deal is not expected to face serious scrutiny from US competition authorities because Musk’s major business interests – an electric car company, the SpaceX rocket business and tunnelling firm the Boring Company – do not compete with Twitter.