God, I love this show, but hate the lead character/actor!!!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I would have agreed with this, but the thread title says that we should have loved the show, and I didn't love SATC. I watched it, but never really loved it, and Carrie was a major reason for that.

This however I absolutely agree with. I loved ER, but I really, really, really hated Abby. In fact there were quite a lot of characters during ER's final years that I disliked. The show went from must-see-tv to I-think-I'll-skip-it-tv...

• Members

It’s funny that the characters we’ve selected are overwhelmingly female. I’m guessing that’s simply because most posters here are primarily drawn to shows with a female focus (not surprising on a board devoted to soaps). But it’s... interesting. I’m certainly not exempt from that observation.

Edited by Costello

• Members

True. I think it is likely down to me watching more female-led shows. It's difficult to think of others - probably the biggest is Parks and Rec, which I had to quit about halfway through because I was so damn tired of Jean-Ralphio and Tom sucking up so much oxygen (well that and for a comedy, the show had become about as funny as a sock full of marbles).

• Members

She was no picnic BTS either.

Please register in order to view this content

Same.  In trying to come up with examples to add to this topic, I was amazed by how many female-led series I've watched over the years.  But, OTOH, it shouldn't be TOO surprising since, after all, the female demographics tend to be the ones advertisers and networks covet most.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS.  

Edited by Khan

• Members

I wonder if it's possibly down to writing in some cases.  I remember how much hate Skylar from Breaking Bad and Rita from Dexter got.  In those cases I could never figure out if the issue was the writing or the audience, but it was bizarre to see people hate the wives of these characters who were liars and killers because they were obstacles to the lying and killing.

• Members

You're right. In that case, I'd like to add Will Gardener on TGW. The show suffered when he died, but that was mainly due to the writing and backstage antics taking a hit.

Michael C. Hall on Dexter became insufferable towards the later seasons.

Will on The Fresh Prince of Belair. He always worked best with the strength of the secondary characters. 

• Members

I have always hated this character and felt they killed off the wrong brother.  I would much rather have the handsome charismatic Rob Stark.  I just recently picked GOT back up and I dread seeing this character because he was always a waste of space.  Cut Harrington's hair and you have Orlando Bloom.  Mediocrity at its finest!  

• Members

Oh Nate Fisher is a great one. 

Actually, McNulty on The Wire as well. That was an ensemble show so his presence wasn’t as noticeable, but man did the show drag when he was featured. I was just not interested in his depression and womanizing.

Masters on Masters of Sex, at least initially before the show became unwatchable. I was much more intrigued by Virginia and Libby.

Edited by Faulkner