Have Reboots & Reality TV reached saturation point?

DramatistDreamer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the category of what constitutes a "Reality" show is too broad.  To me, The GBB is more of a docu-series/service show, rather than the lightly scripted fare of The Real Housewives or KUWTK.  Then you have competitive shows like ANTM, RuPaul's Drage Race, etc. that have more of a game show element to it.  

Just like sitcoms have single camera and multicamera and dramas have police procedurals, hospital dramas, mystery/detective shows and soap/continuing series distinctions, reality shows should also have different categories.

In any case, it seems as though there is a glut of each variety of reality television program and some paring back definitely needs to take place.

• Members

Reboots will probably hang around for a while.

There are still plenty of shows that could be retooled. They get a bit more attention because of it and there's always the chance something could take off.

Let's see

That Girl -young black aspiring actress heads to NY to seek fame and fortune

Odd Couple - slobby divorced gay guy moves in with prissy divorced straight guy

Barnaby Jones - older 40ish detective works with spunky 20 something  latina daughter in law to solve cases

• Members

Yes there have been a few over the years. But if there is some sort of name recognition and a dollar to be made...

Was reading an article recently on how the studios/networks are embracing the franchise model more than ever so they can do many spin offs under the one name umbrella.

• Members

Yes, I have to agree with this. Too many shows means all of your talent is spread out. On one hand, you might have more shows that strike one's fancy. On the other hand, not too many shows can sustain success past a couple of seasons.

If I watched everything I was interested in from start to finish, I would not have any time for a career or a life. Once upon a time, watching two or three soaps five days a week seemed like a lot, but there are people out there watching the same amount of television in a day - maybe even two times over.

Kinda like what they did with One Day at a Time. I do like this type of thing. I still get a little annoyed because I feel as though they don't HAVE to produce it and sell it as a reboot or re-imagining of something else. You can take the tone and very general premise of something older and completely flip it around, do it well, and hopefully be successful.

For the last few years, I've wanted a "version" of That Girl that focuses on a young gay man with that same Ann Marie spirit and his stuffy, business-like boyfriend. For a looooooooong time, I have imagined a version of Little House on the Prairie set in the suburbs.

• Members

Didn't the CW have one (youth based of course) that went to pilot?  But that was well over ten years ago I believe...  (Maybe it was UPN?  The WB?)

Oh even more than that, from what I've seen...  As a kid when I'd tape Loving/AMC/OLTL and watch it zooming through the commercials, I could get through all three  in about an hour and forty minutes and be done before my parents were home from work after school, none the wiser

Please register in order to view this content

Archived