Have Reboots & Reality TV reached saturation point?

DramatistDreamer

• Members

Absolutely agreed in regards to DS.

You're right about networks wanting to milk a hit, etc, but in regards to Murphy Brown I guess it's a bit more complicated (and of course they're not saying anything for sure here--I had read the Hollywood Reporter article before this one--which it references--that said it was always only meant to be one season so now I'm just confused).  https://people.com/tv/murphy-brown-revival-future-uncertain/

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IIRC Diane English and the cast have explicitly said they (like The Conners) only wanted a short 13-episode season. If a decision for a second season were to be made it would be for more of the same. She has said they'd like one.

• Members

I see what you're saying but otoh, I think it would be that much easier to reboot Capitol with a freer hand and less demands than with a soap that had been very popular like AMC or OLTL.  Think of all the people who were resistant to the 2.0 TOLN/PP soaps.   I definitely don't see the same hue and cry had it been Capitol or er...uh, Loving (psst, I'd never reboot Loving, lol).  People might have a more open mind, watch out of curiosity and see what happens.

It's actually easier to write a great screen adaptation of a mediocre book than it is to adapt a truly popular or beloved novel where everyone has high expectations and their own ideas of what they think should definitely be in the movie.  And people are usually disappointed in the movie version of most really popular books.  Take a mediocre novel and expand on the ideas, plug up the plot holes, write a great script and people are pleasantly surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I don't know about Reality TV but it doesn't seem as if Reboots are yet at their saturation point!  

I read that Steven Spielberg is doing a reboot of his 1980s series Amazing Stories (I somewhat remember the boisterous theme music).

Yet, these days, we daytime drama fans can't even get some new downloads of classic storylines from our favorite soaps!

• Members

I don't mind some reboots/revivals. I don't mind a remake or two. 

It was the hot fad for a little while. It's since faded, like I figured it would.

Will and Grace is already back to what turned me off towards the end of their first run. Murphy was buried and really didn't stand a chance (I feel sad it's probably/likely dead).

I think it's kind of neat some of these shows have "come back". No different than the years of Green Acres the movie (or I Dream of Jeannie 15 years later), the many Gilligan reunion movies, Growing Pains had a movie or two, Dallas had two tv movies in the late 90s before it's reboot ... reboots have simply taken the place of the made for tv reunion movie. Remember Patty Duke returning to Rock Brooklyn Heights? (I just saw it again because LightTV aired it, LOL)

I do think it's creatively lazy in some regards (Hawaii Five-0, Magnum, MacGyver) but I don't mind when we get things like Fuller House, Murphy, etc.

Archived